Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi playing participants,

I propose for February TOTM another evergreen…
"It's All Right with Me" by Cole Porter, for his 1953 musical Can-Can

Here is the share with scores and playalongs:

It's all right with me (TOTM)

Scores are for reference only I believe… so listen with love the greats and adjust accordingly ?.

NOTE: printed version for Alto missing 2 short bridges. I added the dots for that by hand (Alto adds.jpg).

Playalongs: Abersold's original (high tempo) kindly provided by Jared with the note that it is "fast".
So, I reduced the tempo without changing the pitch. Also there is a different variant.

Here is absolutely wonderful version by Scott Hamilton and Eddie Higgins

It's All Right with Me - Scott Hamilton & Eddie Higgins - YouTube

Of course vocal versions of Frank and Ella should not leave anyone unemotional :)… plus many others.

it's allright with me - YouTube

1956 version of Sonny … Sonny Rollins - It's All Right With Me (1956) - YouTube

So, we have a chance to add our "homeworks" to SOTW list that will be inspired by the list of many greats versions.

All the best.
Michael.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,499 Posts
Hi playing participants,

I propose for February TOTM another evergreen…
"It's All Right with Me" by Cole Porter, for his 1953 musical Can-Can

Here is the share with scores and playalongs:

It's all right with me (TOTM)

Scores are for reference only I believe… so listen with love the greats and adjust accordingly ?.

NOTE: printed version for Alto missing 2 short bridges. I added the dots for that by hand (Alto adds.jpg).

Playalongs: Abersold's original (high tempo) kindly provided by Jared with the note that it is "fast".
So, I reduced the tempo without changing the pitch. Also there are different variant.

Here is absolutely wonderful version by Scott Hamilton and Eddie Higgins

It's All Right with Me - Scott Hamilton & Eddie Higgins - YouTube

Of course vocal versions of Frank and Ella should not leave anyone unemotional :)… plus many others.

it's allright with me - YouTube

1956 version of Sonny … Sonny Rollins - It's All Right With Me (1956) - YouTube

So, we have a chance to add our "homeworks" to SOTW list that will be inspired by the list of many greats versions.

All the best.
Michael.
Is this for the intermediate?

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,972 Posts
Such an amazing choice of a track for this month. Going to be great to have the variety of playing between slow and quick. Hoping some of our pros will stop by to shed it at 240bpm ;)

I've added this tune to the Beginners and Intermediate TOTM Index here:

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for posting the link. Personnally, I am not a great "lover" of gypsy kind of playalongs. But it's me :)
I transposed the Tenorsax sheet for Eb Altosax. I had no time yet to try it out on alto sax, hope there are no mistakes...
good for people who need it... Thanks!

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I transposed the Tenorsax sheet for Eb Altosax. I had no time yet to try it out on alto sax, hope there are no mistakes...
quickly checked. no mistakes sound wise. missing coda 4 bars that is in my add to alto attach.

little edit: checked Abersold's playback - the four bars I am talking about is not just in coda... it comes up few times during whole play time. If you want you can add it to your pdf edition.
Few more dots... but if we want to be more accurate you can put it and it will complete one page instead of my initial and addition .

Attachments

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
First attempt on alto sax. My main mouthpiece on alto is a a Selmer concept but i decided to blow the dust out of an old Meyer this time... :)
Very enjoyable take Tisinut! Seemed a little uncomfortable getting started (happens when changing mouthpieces!), but I could hear the joy in your playing all the way through. Great take on this one, and loved the 8th note strings you had in the solo - however sometimes they got a little off tempo. When you were locked in, they sounded amazing. Superb way to start things out!

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First attempt on alto sax. My main mouthpiece on alto is a a Selmer concept but i decided to blow the dust out of an old Meyer this time... :)
Beautiful, soulful and with own character.
Sometimes people adding notes here when the soloist plays without pauses.
I simply feel that you were inside of "practice buble", that is good.
If then you will want to concentrate on recording for your CD release :) you would correct some spots and be more attentive.

Reactions: tisinut

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Here's my effort. I thought I'd get in early this month!

Bill
Wow, sounds like you are feeling right at home on this tune! The tempo didn't phase you for even a second and you swung it up very nicely! Loved the whole thing! Way to set a high standard for the rest of us ;)

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's my effort. I thought I'd get in early this month!

Bill
Swing, swing, swing, swing...Highestf note! Lovely. Impro part is absolutely nice. Thanks Bill.

· Registered
416 Posts
Wow, great work Jared!

It sounds to me like you have taken a big step up in the tone department. You sound very comfortable with that setup and your tone is now really consistent right through the range of the horn. Is that the Florida Link you are playing? You also sounded really comfortable and confident with the chord changes, even at that blistering tempo, and came up with plenty of lines and licks that fit really well. Bravo!

Bill

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jared, sure at this tempo you are "running", it is not easy. I hear that at some places it is very structured, some not. + it is a long track.
Generally, nice homework. I think in lower tempo you'd produce other character take. Also I think that sax sounds not as your usual - full.
Have a feeling that it's a dgital part of recording that muffles a bit your sound.
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: J-Moen
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.