Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We (again) couldn't find a volunteer to host this month B&I TOTM, so I will post something as moderator of the TOTM threads. Please be aware that I won't do this every time. To keep these threads active we need not only players to attend, but also people who want to be an active host.

Our friend Lionelsax posted in August 2018 a thread with a backing track he created playing Bass over Rhythm Changes. Here is that thread:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?343210-Rhythm-Changes-on-bass

To keep you guys busy for this month I would like to propose to record yourself with this backing track (Lionel agreed that his backing can be used for that, see above thread). The format can be as free as you want:

- Playing an existing theme (like for instance 'I Got Rhythm', 'The Flintstones' theme, 'Lester Leaps In' or another song that fits the chords)
- Playing an own composition
- Improvising your own composition
- Use one or multiple horns
- Use one or multiple mouthpieces
- With one or multiple players (chose your favourite other TOTM member to make a battle!)

I did store the backing of Lionelsax as MP3 and WAV file, see this download link:
https://app.box.com/s/zoxbtdaeptujg8e0ek4qnnsraurc2jcv

I probably won't be very active as a 'real' host this month. Would be nice if we can play that role together. :)

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
Thanks Peter for keeping this going.
Here is an example of a tune which uses Rhythm Changes (I think?).
But even if it doesn’t it’s a good listen.

·
Registered
640 Posts
We (again) couldn't find a volunteer to host this month B&I TOTM, so I will post something as moderator of the TOTM threads. Please be aware that I won't do this every time. To keep these threads active we need not only players to attend, but also people who want to be an active host.
:)
Thanks a lot Peter,

I give you my availability to host January TOTM or B&I, I hope to be less busy at work (at this time and till year end we are in a nightmare). :|

Ciao

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is an example of a tune which uses Rhythm Changes (I think?).
That's for sure another nice example of a Rhythm Scheme Nick.

'Salt Peanuts' is in Real Book 2 page 310 and it's in F concert key. I didn't check Lionel's backing track, but I assume it's in Bb concert, so you might have to do some transposing!

Real Book 2 page 309 has Monk's 'Rhythm-A-Ning' in concert Bb, which could be another nice example to work on. As mentioned, many other examples exist.

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot Peter,

I give you my availability to host January TOTM or B&I, I hope to be less busy at work (at this time and till year end we are in a nightmare). :|

Ciao
That's great Guido, I will put you already on the list for January 2020. :)

Good luck with the work stuff. I know how you must feel. My work is already for a too long time a nightmare and it seems to never end.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
My work is already for a too long time a nightmare and it seems to never end.
Ohh ... such negativity ! Retirement must be just around the corner !! :bluewink:

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohh ... such negativity ! Retirement must be just around the corner !! :bluewink:
Maybe in a paradise like Vancouver, but here in NL you can now only retire 3 months after you die! :bluewink:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Maybe in a paradise like Vancouver
Ha ! forum rules won't allow me to post what I think of this place ... :bluewink:
But I think Francisco might live in paradise ! :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But I think Francisco might live in paradise ! :mrgreen:
His Island has still a lot of rain, a 'better' paradise is the Island 'Madeira', a bit more to the East. Or the Canarian Islands (South of Madeira), they are almost as good as 'Vancouver'! :bluewink:

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
No Apologies needed for your Anthropology version Lionel!

Nice and relaxed improvisation and you for sure didn't run out of idea's during the many choruses. Nice alto sound too. Did you play the STM here on the alto? Like the bass player too, give him my complements if you see him Lionel! :)
Yes, it's the STM.
Thanks for your comment, I had a lot of problems...

- The head at this tempo
- The reed and the mouthpiece

At the end I chose the Otto Link and a Hemke 4 !!!

This the bass player !
View attachment 248156

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Nice and relaxed improvisation and you for sure didn't run out of idea's during the many choruses.
+1 ... I start repeating myself before the first chorus is finished !
Love the long 8th note runs.

I still haven't picked a tune yet .. :evil:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Thanks !
Thanks for all these comments.

At first I thought it was impossible to play something on this but the bass helped me to do something.
You were right mrpeebee, the bass was not so bad.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts