Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·

Probably could have kept practicing for hours, but here is my day 1. Hopefully I can improve on this one - Tough song! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
African Alto Skies by J-moen on #SoundCloud

Nice smooth sound on the alto. I agree, the 6/8 time signature is challenging. You are playing the melody correctly, the rhythmic placement is a little off some spots. Nice bluesy solo, great feel and sound. Thank you for posting. I had a little trouble with the link so I copied it from SoundCloud and posted in my comment. I look forward to another post of this tune from you.
JP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

African Alto Skies by J-moen on #SoundCloud

Nice smooth sound on the alto. I agree, the 6/8 time signature is challenging. You are playing the melody correctly, the rhythmic placement is a little off some spots. Nice bluesy solo, great feel and sound. Thank you for posting. I had a little trouble with the link so I copied it from SoundCloud and posted in my comment. I look forward to another post of this tune from you.
JP

Thanks! The soundcloud thing ends up strange on phones, so I appreciate you sharing the link!

I appreciate the feedback and I will be sure to improve and make another take for later! ThAnks for choosing such a fun tune!

Greetings,

Here is my post of the song, "African Skies" thank you.

Soprano Saxophone:

Alto Saxophone:

Tenor Saxophone:

iPhone 8 Plus is pretty good at recording live videos.
Johnny, very nice to see and hear you playing on the three horns. Agree fully with Alex, comprehensive and very musical. You manage all three horns well, but I preferred the tenor take the most, followed by the alto and the soprano. Well done. :)

Greetings,

Soprano Saxophone:

Alto Saxophone:

Tenor Saxophone:

Johnny, beautiful renditions. Very personal and from the "bottom" of the musician's soul.

Only five days left till the end of this month.

*** So we need a new B&I TOTM host for the upcoming month! ***

Please let me know in this thread or through pm when you're interested.

The North Sea Jazz Festival is only 3 days and all in one complex, only visible if you buy (expensive!) tickets! But on Dutch TV we have every day about 1 to 2 hours. I don't go to the festival anymore, it's nowadays more a POP/World music festival, hard to find 'real' Jazz anymore. And the commercial stuff did grow to the extreme, everywhere food and drinks and people who are coming to socialize, but forget to listen to the music and don't know when to applause for a good solo (yes, I'm starting to sound like an old man!).

But since the festival went from Den Haag to Rotterdam they have a 'free to visit' street jazz festival (called North Sea Around Town) in the week before the big festival, mostly with local bands. I've played many times on that festival with my Big Band, which is always very nice to do. :)
Peter, returning to your post... just listened this from North Sea Jazz Fest...

May be you were in the crowd by chance? :)

Peter, returning to your post... just listened this from North Sea Jazz Fest...

May be you were in the crowd by chance? :)
That was on 12 July 1981 and I did visit that festival, but not this concert of Sarah Vaughan.

I've actually never been much into singing and I visited three other concerts which overlapped the one of Sarah: Frank Foster quartet, Richie Cole alto madness and Red Rodney and Ira Sullivan. :)

See this link to the concert scheme of that day:
https://www.northseajazz.com/nl/programma/1981/zondag-12-juli/blokkenschema/tijd/

That was in 1981 and I visited that festival, but not this concert of Sarah Vaughan.

I've actually never been much into singing and I visited three other concerts which overlapped the one of Sarah: Frank Foster quartet, Richie Cole alto madness and Red Rodney and Ira Sullivan.

See this link to the scheme of that day:
https://www.northseajazz.com/nl/programma/1981/zondag-12-juli/blokkenschema/tijd/
and what about OSCAR PETERSON (our Montrealer btw :) ). Did you see him?

Greetings,

Soprano Saxophone:

Alto Saxophone:

Tenor Saxophone:

Just beautifully done. I love the way you flow through the melody of this tune, just singing straight through. Improvisations were stellar as well... should have been doing more listening to this before I decided to give my final take a try. Either way, you play beautifully, and have a wonderful tribute to such a great song. Thanks for sharing!

Well Here is my final sneaking in a few days before the end of the month! I hope the work I put into learning over the chords for this shows in my Improv, and I hope you can all enjoy it as much as I had fun playing this tune.

I chose a nice backdrop of a picture of a Sunset in Botswana for my video - seemed fitting!

Discussion starter · #54 ·
Well Here is my final sneaking in a few days before the end of the month! I hope the work I put into learning over the chords for this shows in my Improv, and I hope you can all enjoy it as much as I had fun playing this tune.

I chose a nice backdrop of a picture of a Sunset in Botswana for my video - seemed fitting!
JMOEN3
Thank you for posting this take. Sound is really full and soulful. Great blues feel and love the background picture. Looking forward to next months posts.
JP

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the positive comments and replies to the musicians that posted their performances. Thank you to Mr. PeeBee for letting me host this month. My only regret is that more of the musicians, who make up the great group, didn’t participate. I think “African Skies” is a fun tune to play but it may not be to everyone’s liking. This was an honor to host and I hope to get to do it again.

Thank you,
JP

JMOEN3
Thank you for posting this take. Sound is really full and soulful. Great blues feel and love the background picture. Looking forward to next months posts.
JP

Thanks so much Johnny! That means a lot, especially knowing how great of a sound you have on alto! Thanks for hosting!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the positive comments and replies to the musicians that posted their performances. Thank you to Mr. PeeBee for letting me host this month. My only regret is that more of the musicians, who make up the great group, didn't participate. I think "African Skies" is a fun tune to play but it may not be to everyone's liking. This was an honor to host and I hope to get to do it again.

Thank you,
JP

Hi Johnny,

I like the songs, but it's a bit of a problem for my skills; I've been trying for two days and, right now, here's my best version.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Ciao and keep you safe.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Hi Johnny,

I like the songs, but it's a bit of a problem for my skills; I've been trying for two days and, right now, here's my best version.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Ciao and keep you safe.
G,
Thank you for posting. Love the soulful, sensual approach. Your sound draws the listener in to the music. At one point, while enjoying this take, I spilled my wine! (A big no-no in this house!) As to your skill level comment, we all have something to say and if you say it from the heart, it's good. And you said it from the heart. Thank you for taking on the challenge. Can't wait for the next one.
JP

Only five days left till the end of this month.

*** So we need a new B&I TOTM host for the upcoming month! ***

Please let me know in this thread or through pm when you're interested.
Bump!

Every promise (or was it a threat? :mrgreen:) is an obligation:

Ciao and keep you safe.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.