Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned
I quit
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Mona Lisa" is a song written by Ray Evans and Jay Livingston for the Paramount Pictures film Captain Carey, U.S.A, (1950.) The song won an Oscar for best original song for that year. It was famously covered by Nat King Cole that same year and released under the Capitol label.

In this folder you'll find the Eb and Bb sheet music and a backing track I made.

I was inspired to pick this song after reading about how someone recently smeared the painting with cake.

Enjoy!

· Registered
4,763 Posts
Interesting choice, I had a quick search of my library and only see one recording of the song, from Sonny Rollins. Not my favourite era for Sonny's tone, but the improv is quintessential Sonny. I wish I could say that I might participate, but given how little playing time I've had and expect to have, seems highly unlikely. Hope you have a successful month.

Photograph Window Brick Brickwork Art

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,972 Posts

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Well, I may not have time for another take, or any playing later this month. So here is a quick sight read and a bit of solo until I called it quits. Lovely tune, hope I can get better acquainted with it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-805266588%2Fmona-lisa

· Banned
I quit
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
J-Moen, you are developing very well. I can hear your sense of melody come through. Keep it up.

So, I decided to record this one tonight. My sax is so badly out of whack, though. Leaks all over, and won't play in tune. I still did it. Time for a trip to the tech!

(removed)

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts

· Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
933 Posts
Olds1959Special “Oooops we could not find that track” ( Soundcloud)…..
JMoen … Celebration … or Mosaic ?

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Olds1959Special “Oooops we could not find that track” ( Soundcloud)…..
JMoen … Celebration … or Mosaic ?
Haha well I have many other tenor pieces as well, but this was the 10mfan Celebration

· Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
933 Posts
This my playing of this month theme Monalisa.
I am using a Philtone Mosaic mouthpiece , with a La Voz Médium Reed on my Selmer Mark VII, using an Eastern Music SBA type gold lacquered German copper Neck.

here it is :

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Lovely playing from Humbardi and Alimont! (Olds removed again?)

I've been adjusting my setup to get a better sound capture. Also Was testing out this new GS Mark II mouthpiece. Really cool, lots of color in the tone.

https://soundcloud.com/user-805266588%2Fmonalisa-markii
Let me know how the sound is vs my older playing (trying to sit still while playing too, which has proved difficult and I still got away from the mic a couple times.)

· Registered
3,469 Posts
Got home from my trip and tried to practice yesterday. Put the mouthpiece in my mouth and instantly split my lip. I was supposed to go to a jam session last night, but that was a no go. Better today, so I tried a take. Not sure you'll be able to tell as my website is currently unavailable. (JustHost is the company I go through, and this happens about once a year; I went with them because my old website provider was so horrid (MidPhase), and two months later MidPhase bought JustHost; they've been awful ever since. FYI)

Mona Lisa

Edit: Link fixed 11:00 PM EST

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Thanks Olds for choosing this fantastic tune and hosting this month! I meant to get a take of the rock version out, but didn't have time sadly.

That said, the month is nearing it's end! If anyone would like to host the B&I or main TOTM for July 2022, let me know!

· Banned
I quit
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got home from my trip and tried to practice yesterday. Put the mouthpiece in my mouth and instantly split my lip. I was supposed to go to a jam session last night, but that was a no go. Better today, so I tried a take. Not sure you'll be able to tell as my website is currently unavailable. (JustHost is the company I go through, and this happens about once a year; I went with them because my old website provider was so horrid (MidPhase), and two months later MidPhase bought JustHost; they've been awful ever since. FYI)

Mona Lisa

Edit: Link fixed 11:00 PM EST
Very nice sound and feel! Well done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.