Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one I've been meaning to choose for a while, after a recommendation from @dexdex last October when I recorded a version. This tune was written by the great Gerry Mulligan, and its got a sort of effortless easygoing flow which I love. Very eager to hear what people can do with this tune!

Here's the original amazing version featuring Mulligan and Hodges, as well as Claude Williamson (piano), Buddy Clark (bass), Mel Lewis (drums)

I've uploaded the sheet music and a simple iRealPro backing (Plus the backing I meshed with a Bass Intro line):

No other backings available that I could find, so if someone finds one please share! Or if you would like to offer to make a BIAB track, It would be very much appreciated! I can provide whatever you need to help with that.

Anyways, hope you all enjoy and looking forward to a great month!

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh and if anyone wants a copy of the duet melody I'm happy to share. And I will try to fix and make some sheet music without all the scoops and extras from Hodges' (brilliant) playing.

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d love a copy of the duet melody! I’ll do a recording of bari and alto…
Sounds great, you can join my Bari/Alto duet recording :).

I've uploaded the duet sheets as well as a de-hodge-ified version of the melody for everyone!

· Registered
4,763 Posts
And, as is tradition, here's my first take - but its from last year in October with me playing Alto and Bari. My hope is to get a better sound on this one!
Love these Mulligan tunes with that loping rhythm, you played the melody perfectly. I was looking for the rhythmic feel to carry over into the improv, looking forward to hearing your further developments on this tune, great base to start from.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
4,113 Posts
Hi All. Nice pick, it seems I had some influence, sorry for that. I'm currently working on creating a backing track on BiaB. I'm hitting my limits in harmonic analysis with the intro of the original Hodges-Mulligan version. While it goes like a common 4 bars turnaround, the 2nd bar has a curious diminished flavor due to the voicing used by the pianist. Any clue ? CM7, Ebdim7, Dm7, G7 ?

4,113 Posts
Hi All, I'm back on my computer and ready to provide backing tracks from BiaB. How many choruses ? @J-Moen, maybe I can send them to you, so you can add them at the top of the thread.

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All, I'm back on my computer and ready to provide backing tracks from BiaB. How many choruses ? @J-Moen, maybe I can send them to you, so you can add them at the top of the thread.
Thanks so much dex! 4-5 choruses is plenty I believe! That's awesome. Sorry I didn't respond on the harmonic analysis question (definitely not my forte). I'd be happy to add the track to the drive link above!

4,113 Posts
Don’t worry for the intro. It was just curiosity.

Reactions: J-Moen

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've added all the new Tracks thanks to Dex! They sound great, Hopefully I can get one out soon!

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

4,113 Posts
Hi All. Are all rabbits on vacation ?
I'm leaving tomorrow for a couple of days, without my horns, and even less hard and software to do studio work.
Could Bunny be a tad to ambitious for beginning beginners ?
As I seem to have suggested it somewhere in the past, I couldn't escape. Eat your own dog food.
I grabbed my Eb horns as well as the home made backing, which I customized to leave more space to the soloists. Exit the drummer.

Uuuh, what's up, Bunny ?

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All. Are all rabbits on vacations ?
I'm leaving tomorrow for a couple of days, without my horns, and even less hard and software to do studio work.
Could Bunny be a tad to ambitious for beginning beginners ?
As I seem to have suggested it somewhere in the past, I couldn't escale. Eat your own dog food.
I grabbed my Eb horns as well as the home made backing, which I customized to leave more space to the soloists. Exit the drummer.

Uuuh, what's up, Bunny ?
Wonderful! The sign said you were offline, but I thought you were perfectly in line :D. You do a great job of dueting this one out and really exploring some original rhythms! It's superb to hear you on both these two horns. Love the Hodges lines and how you really kick it up after those statements. Both solos are sublime, really some wonderful language here. Perfectly blend of bop and blues, and all the while keeping it swinging! Love the space for free soloing with the two horns! Really impressive, and way to kick it up a notch! Thanks so much for sharing!

4,113 Posts
Wonderful! The sign said you were offline, but I thought you were perfectly in line :D. You do a great job of dueting this one out and really exploring some original rhythms! It's superb to hear you on both these two horns. Love the Hodges lines and how you really kick it up after those statements. Both solos are sublime, really some wonderful language here. Perfectly blend of bop and blues, and all the while keeping it swinging! Love the space for free soloing with the two horns! Really impressive, and way to kick it up a notch! Thanks so much for sharing!
Hi J, thanks for your comments.
Exploring what ? Nice way to qualify quirkiness. 😇
I was half reading and half playing from memory. As the time was getting short, I kept 1st takes.
I hope there will be some more bunnies.

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No takers? I was hoping to hear some beautiful Hodges and/or Mulligan interpretation! So, here's a wonderful video transcription of Hodges and Mulligan!

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Slow going month! Thanks Dexdex for participating and laying down a wonderful track - guess its not 'standard' enough for most people to want to play :p

Taragot has volunteered to host for next month, and hope to have many more great contributions! And always happy to hear any more takes on this one for those still working it!

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Final take for me - decided to try one solo on tenor. I found Tenor much more difficult on this for some reason! Tried to cut loose a bit and play by ear -which resulted in a few hiccups, but even so hope everyone enjoys:
https://soundcloud.com/user-805266588%2Fbunny-tenor

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.