Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember in HS (or maybe middle school) the jazz band leader started recommending mouthpiece upgrades for the alto and tenor players (who up till then had been playing who knows what). Tenor players were advised to get metal (gold color) otto link "super" tonemaster #7, alto players were advised to get Meyer 5M (non vintage...this was early 1980s), ...My Question...what would be the soprano equivalent here? Would it be an otto link HR? What opening? Something else?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I remember in HS (or maybe middle school) the jazz band leader started recommending mouthpiece upgrades for the alto and tenor players (who up till then had been playing who knows what). Tenor players were advised to get metal (gold color) otto link "super" tonemaster #7, alto players were advised to get Meyer 5M (non vintage...this was early 1980s), ...My Question...what would be the soprano equivalent here? Would it be an otto link HR? What opening? Something else?
When I was in HS 40+ years ago, it was the same recommendations for alto & tenor. The soprano was a pretty rare beast, our school system only had one - some antique keyed up to Eb. I played it once in a pit band and used whatever piece was in the case. It was too long ago and I don't remember the brand of the horn or the mouthpiece. When I went off to college I got a Mark VI sop. I always used the stock Selmer that came with it. My teacher played a metal Otto Link on his Mark VI soprano. There wasn't really any general "go to" piece like on alto and tenor that "everybody" played & my teacher never suggested I change.

In my experience soprano saxes are more mouthpiece picky than bigger horns. A piece that sounds great one horn won't necessarily play well on another & vice versa. If you get a new horn from Selmer, Yamaha or Yanagisawa, the stock mouthpiece that comes with the instrument will be perfectly adequate for a new player. For others, you just have to experiment.

Many people recommend a Yamaha 4C as a starter sop piece. I don't play one, so I won't comment. They are cheap, so it's a low risk to try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts