Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !

I'm thinking of buying my first metal mpc. I'm playing for 10 years now and the only mpcs I played were ebonite. So i'd like to know how it feels to play a metal one. What are the differences I'll see. A friend of mine said they are hard to play ... What to you think of Beechler ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,320 Posts
SaxPower said:
Hi !

I'm thinking of buying my first metal mpc. I'm playing for 10 years now and the only mpcs I played were ebonite. So i'd like to know how it feels to play a metal one. What are the differences I'll see. A friend of mine said they are hard to play ... What to you think of Beechler ?
Its just a different feel in your mouth. Not hard to play per se.

My beechler bellite for alto is actually physically pretty small, smaller than say a link STM or a selmer metal and much smaller than any rubber alto piece Ive played. It took a little getting used to as your embouchoure is necessarily tighter, but I persisted because I loved the tone, mellow at the bottom and a bit edgier at the top, plus its very flexible. Given the size difference though that piece might be a shock? I came to it from a metal selmer, which was not such a big step from a rubber piece.

Its a very free blowing piece too, mine is about a 7 facing (although marked as a 6) You have to be a bit careful, make sure you can return it if you are buying new, or best case play a few if you can. I use ether 2 or 2.5 plasticovers on mine, and it ranges easily from the top to the bottom of the range. Its by far the easiest piece Ive tried for hitting the lows easily. And it can go loud, much louder than my metal Link.

Another thing I found was that it was a smaller diameter than any of my other pieces, it was really tight on the cork until I spent some time with a dremel and some sanding drums! Now I have the option to interchange pieces easily.

I really like the piece, but try one first if you have the chance, I hear they can be variable, although I heard that after I got mine and mine plays great. Got any friends who will lend you a metal piece or two to see what you think?

Good luck, I use nothing but metal pieces now. I should probably sell my rubber ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey,

I realize this is an old post, but I just wanted to say that it helped me a lot. I joined this forum today, hoping to find someone has had a similar experience to mine getting used to the Beechler 7 for alto. I bought it 5 months ago and have played it exclusively, but usually I've only been playing once a week. My embouchure is not staying tight enough to play it well for a whole gig (3 to 4 hours with 2 breaks). I am upping my practice time, and trying some of the embouchure strengthening tips I read about in another topic.

Maybe I will keep you posted when I am fully satisfied with this mouthpiece... otherwise I agree 100% with what you have said about the amazing, loud and edgy tones you can produce with this bad boy.

·
Registered
593 Posts
yes! is a superb mpc if u can play it. i got a few belite 7 for past few tears and now i got my custom 7. I feel that my custom 7 plays more even but i think the opening is quite big . although it say 83 to 85 in most of the facing chart but i'm sure mine is at least 90.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,320 Posts
Glad to have helped, and welcome to our online community!

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,407 Posts
I think the best "first alto metal" to try is a Yanagisawa Metal 7. They are predictably well made and have a nice metal sound that isn't "too much of this" or "too much of that".

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi,

I use on beechller custom 7 and is very good.

Tone, subtones, altissimo emission is perfect for me.

Is my first piece in alto sax. I have too one guardala traditional handmade and one selmer long shank (60'), horsechoe, E, to various situations plays.

The beechler is fantastic in my selmer super action II matt.

I use heemke 2 1/2 or la voz medium reeds.

FL ligature is more free the reed and extra quality in the final result sound to me.

Good luck!

Wellison

1 - 8 of 8 Posts