Sax on the Web Forum banner

Beechler Ligature

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Souportwenty 
#1 ·
One of the ligature screws of my Beechler Bellite #5 cannot be screwed and tighten anymore. I am thinking to buy a new ligature. I keep reading the previous posts about Beechler ligature and others ligature.

Some said using the original ligature from Beechler is the best. Some said the screw thread of Beechler ligature always the problem and never been improved.

Should I get the original Beechler ligature or should I try others like Rovner? For Olegature, it is quite expensive tho.

Any idea?

#2 ·
I still have and use the original ligature from an early 80's Beechler. I have a modern Bellite as well and the ligature that came with it also keeps the reed on well. I have a Rovner EDII that also works quite well with a slight modification and use it on a Beechler I recently purchased that was a little more open than I am used to. It also works well. I think many people over tighten their ligatures and strip the threads. A good ligature is one that holds the reed in place and the original Beechler ones and the more modern ones (they have the little nodes that hold the reed and can put some little indentations in a reed) also work well. I suggest you take your mouthpiece into a store and try a few ligatures to see what fits best.

#3 ·
There are not many varieties of ligature to choose in my country, Thailand. I've just got a quote from Beechler and the price is reasonable. I think I might stay with Beechler.

Just a little curiosity, you mentioned more open, is it noticeable in sound?

#4 ·
Actually this piece is not only a bit more open but has some modifications to the baffle and chamber. The seller thought it might have been done by Bob Ackerman. Anyhow, it is a .110 opening and my 7 measures at about 96. I find the sound to be the same, distinctive tone I like in the Bellites but has a difference in the midrange that I can't really put into words. I haven't played many pieces more open than .105 so I wondered how this would be. Actually, it has taken only a little getting used to. I am using a slightly softer reed and I've enjoyed it so far. I've only had it a relatively short time. My 7 also has a slightly raised baffle that was a factory mod and it has been my main piece for nearly two years. I played a 6 Bellite for over twenty years before that. I purchased it used when I switched to tenor as my main sax and I think I just developed my sound to suit the Bellite. I suspect it is sort of how people claim to have "link chops". Good luck with yours. I actually don't know which sax you are playing ( tenor, alto, soprano, bari...) and my experience is with the Bellites is all on tenor. I am guessing tenor from the sax in your avitar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.