Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently got this mpc from a member here.
Upon receiving it, I immediately noticed that the right side of the mpc is little longer than the
left side. I was like wow, ok, huh, never seen anything like this before.
Although it is hard to see from the picture, you can compare the horizontal lines in the
backgroudnd with the front tip, and see that the right side is a little bit longer.

Since this is a CUSTOM, which is supposed to be better than ones without, how can this go
through the Beechler's quality check? I mean it is so obvious...It plays little bit stiff in
comparison with a normal beechler bellite that I own. Can this be even fixed?[rolleyes]

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,669 Posts
it looks like a pretty good facing to me. some beechlers play great and some don't. the "custom" means nothing in my experience owning lots of them. the best I've found were older pieces from the late 70s and early 80s that were not "customs" the last few custom altos I tried couldn't beat out my regular bellites .not even close .I did find a custom tenor that played pretty good but stupidly sold that one. It looks good so you should be able to recoup your money if you sell and the new owner might love it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply jd :) Yes, I can resell it at the price I paid for. Although the facing looks good, the right side rail is slightly longer than the left one, making the tip rail skewed.

Magical Pig, if you compare the top end of the side rails with the horizontal lines on the backgroud, you can see that the right side is slightly longer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,063 Posts
I have a Beechler Bari piece that is a door stop. It looks ok but it plays terrible. When you measure it you start to believe they are made by poorly trained monkeys.

I was really disappointed. I have heard good things about the company but my experience was horrific. I tried to work on it and just gave up since the material is harder than unobtanium.

Maybe I will use it as a weight if I take up sea fishing.

[Im self editing the rest of this because the rest of the post was written out of a rebirth for my nagging anger at a piece I was really hoping to use.]

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
The visual assymetry is usually not significant enough to hurt how it plays. It is the facing curve quality you need to fear. I measured one 2 weeks ago that was really bad. There are several reports of nice polite customer service from Beechler. But this does not always translate into a quality product.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,669 Posts
judy beechler is the greatest. they are really polite there and used to make great mouthpieces back when they had this guy named charles black making them.the newer ones that Ive tried were not as good as the older ones with the thin rails and perfect facings they used to have .beechlers have been among the best alto pieces Ive ever played and still use one that is fantastic! I haved tried everthing for alto but continue to use my old metal beechler because it is the best mouthpiece for me.I wouldnt say they suck because some of the greatest sax players on the planet use them and love them .they just need to bring in a real mouthpiece guy to finish them like they used to .Im always looking for beechler bellites that are older for tenor and alto that have the thin tip rails and silver ligs. Ill buy those boat anchors!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,063 Posts
I must have gotten a Friday mouthpiece.

I have heard good things about their customer service.

I just wish only excellent makers with really strict QC would use stainless.

Imagine a world where Berg had used brass!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts