Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Beechler Custom C22 a few weeks ago and when it came in the chamber was asymmetrical, almost warped looking. I disregarded this, as every other Beechler mouthpiece I've played is just like that, a qualty control issue I imagine. Anyways, I played it, and I really like the sound. My only issue is, it played nearly a half step sharp when I had it on the cork where I usually put my diamond inlay, so I adjusted it to about 2/5's of the way on the cork and it still played sharp, but I was able to voice it down. I don't like playing with my mouthpiece almost falling off the neck so I sent it to beechler to get it adjusted, I also requested that they fix the warped chamber. They called me and said that the measurements were so far off that they couldn't adjust the mouthpiece so they offered to make me a new one. When the new one came in (today), it was actually worse. The chamber is just as warped, and it actually plays sharper than the first one. Even pulling it almost off the cork makes it only barely playable. I tryed it on several different horns with a variety of reeds and the results were all similar. I'm fairly conifdent it isn't me because I've played a lot of mouthpieces and I've never had this issue before. Not to mention the guy at beechler told me that I should be able to play the custom in the same spot on the cork that I play the diamond inlay. I'd rather not just give up on this mouthpiece because I really like the sound it produces, I just want the thing to play somewhat in tune.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or better yet, does anyone know where I can send this thing to get it properly fixed?

·
Registered
201 Posts
My guess is that the chamber is warped. Send it back to Beechler and explain your problem. They'll fix it or give you a new one if its unrefacable (is that even a word?)

You could also not be used to the super narrowness of the mouthpiece. I got a Custom about 2 weeks ago and I love it. It has a perfect chamber and rails and I have no problem with intonation

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Some of the diamond inlay Beechlers were very short. It played in tune when it was pulled way out but I never felt comfortable with it on the end of the neck. I have an older large chamber Morgan that is so large it completely covers the cork
but it plays very in tune this way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts