Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between these? The customs are obviously much more expensive, but was curious if anyone has played any of these. I think Alex Han plays on a Custom, not sure what opening though.

Thanks....

·
SOTW Sleuth
231 Posts
The Custom I had played much better than any of the "modern" inlays I had owned. It was very free blowing and even from top to bottom where the stock inlay pieces were stuffier. I've never played on one of the older diamond inlay pieces so I can't compare. I was very pleased with the Custom but ended up selling it only because it was on the brighter/edgier side of things, and I wanted to move in a different direction.

·
SOTW Sleuth
231 Posts
I had a 9 Jazz Custom because Weiner Music was out of the 8 and 7 at the time. I think, for me, an 8 would have been best. The 9 though just had a great big sound but was still controllable...much more so than a .090 Dukoff I had for many years.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fluer66, your story almost sounds like mine! Used a HR Berg 80/1m for years but had control problems since getting mkVI alto. Now prefer 1947 The Martin Alto(committee or committee III). Better sound, darker more complex. Visited George Pruit in Birmingham,AL and tried a black Beechler S8S and loved it but was short on cash and passed it up. I should have bought it. Years later I spoke with Mark at Beechler and described the S8S and he said they still have some blanks so he made a HR Custom 8 for me. I like it but in the back of my mind I sometimes think the black diamond S8S might have been better. Negative thinking on my part. Haven't been playing much for some time but have begun again and working with it a bit. I think with work, my Beechler Custom 8 HR mouthpiece will be a pleasure for a long time.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I play on a custom - have played many inlays (alto) My custom was re-done by Brian Powell. Great piece and worth every penny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts