Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
jazz, rock, funk, fusion and gospel on tenor, alto and soprano
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for reeds to use with the Beechler Bellite #7 for alto? I just got this, brand new last week from WWBW. So far, I'm finding RJS 3 Medium filed works best. The lows are warm and speak easily, and highs are fantastic, but I'm getting squeaks and a sort of nasal tone around high A (not altissimo A). Perhaps the unfiled would be better? The Vandoren Blue Box 2 1/2 seem to do better in the upper register, but low notes don't speak well. ZZ's didn't work well with this mouthpiece for me either. Maybe I need to break away from Vandoren and Rico for once?

also, can anyone recommend a better ligature? I'm not a big fan of the one that came with the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I like my Bellite #7 with a ricoplasticover #3(I find this strength plays for me like a slightly hard 2 1/2). I play a lot of rock and roll these days and this combination gives me a little "edge" but still doesn't get thin. I sometimes use the original lligature and sometimes use a Rovner. I don't find much difference in the sound but find some reeds work well with the original and many work well with Rovner. My Bellite has a slight baffle added by Beechler. I have an older Belllite 6 that that has not been altered that also plays pretty well for me but I do prefer the 7.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
I use Red Vandoren java 2.5 on my Beechler Bellite, but it has opening 0.078 (#5=75, #6=80, #7=85). And it don´t have a added baffel, I have reduced the baffle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,342 Posts
Whats wrong with the lig that came with it? Over time the raised bumps cause dents in the reed, but other than that I thought it worked very well, I just dont over tighten it.

I use RJS too, 2Hs usually, pretty soft compared to the 3Ms I use on other pieces with a similar tip.

Usually unfilled, but to be honest I cant tell a big difference.. Have to confess though that much as I like it, my Bellite spends more time in the drawer than out nowadays in favour of my Rubber pieces.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you mean, Canadiain. I just played a sweet gig on my trusty hard rubber Meyer 6M with a Vandoren ZZ 3, and the tone was awesome. Edgy when I wanted it to be, but controllable to the point that I could get a soft, mellow sweet tone when needed. But I use the Bellite when I'm playing in churches that don't have a reliable PA system and I have to be heard over the Gospel organ, choir and drums with no mic. I guess for me, the ligature just seems a little flimsy, and it is slow to adjust if I want to switch reeds or adjust the position of my reed on the mouthpiece, etc.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Maybe a Vandoren Java Red 2 1/2 would be good. It is a filed reed like the Blue Box, but the Javas run softer than the Blue Boxes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
The ligs that come with Beechlers don't last very long. I recommend getting an Olegature for it. I was using Lavoz mediums for a long time and now use Vandoren blue box 2-1/2.

BTW, Ken you have a beautiful sound. Not what I would expect from a bellite though.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Ken, that's a much better tone than I would have expected from a plastic. You mean it is a plastic cover, right? @patseguin, thanks. I thought that whimpy ligature wouldn't last. I'll try the Oleg.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,342 Posts
My lig is at least 5 years old, its lost some of the powder coat where the cap makes contact, but thats all. I did strip a thread on a tenor bellite lig once upon a time though, but I learned the lesson not to over tighten them. Why worry about replacing it on the off chance you break one? It it breaks then replace it...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
As far as the ligatures wearing out on the Beechlers... Perhaps they do for some. I still have the original from my 80's Bellite and also the original from a more modern version. Both continue to do the job after many years of faithful service! Like "Canadian", I suspect some of the issues some have with ligatures may relate directly to a tendancy of some to tighten the ligature past the point of merely holding the reed in place.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guilty as charged. I have a tendency to tighten my Beechler lig to the point of those little holes being punched into every reed. It goes back to something a former sax professor once told me, that you don't want any of the reed's vibrations to be lost because of a ligature hold that is not tight enough, so he had me crank down that Rovner super tight. But I guess its time to get free from the ligature death grip that I've become accustomed to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts