Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy my metal Beechler #5 a lot! While getting some work done on my alto, I asked my repair guy to measure the beecher mpc tip opening. which is listed as .75 - he said the measurements were .80 (2.06). He checked and double-checked and still got .80. Is it common to have discrepancies like this with
mouthpieces? Any information on this subject is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I enjoy my metal Beechler #5 a lot! While getting some work done on my alto, I asked my repair guy to measure the beecher mpc tip opening. which is listed as .75 - he said the measurements were .80 (2.06). He checked and double-checked and still got .80. Is it common to have discrepancies like this with
Yep. Modern pieces may be more consistent due to improvements in manufacturing technology, but you'll still have some variation. I had a modern Berg HR 85 2M a few years back that actually measured .090. Vintage Brilharts are notorious for tip openings not matching their stamps (IE a factory-faced 3 could have an opening as large as .085, which according to their charts should be about a 6. And I've seen listings for pieces that were stamped as a 5 but had a factory tip of .060).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for this information! I just started using a metal mp..are there big differences in the types? How does Beechler compare to Dukoff, Larsen, Link, etc?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thank you for this information! I just started using a metal mp..are there big differences in the types? How does Beechler compare to Dukoff, Larsen, Link, etc?
Heh, you can ask that question of about a dozen different saxophonists, and you'll get about a dozen different answers.

Manufacturer preference is a very individual thing. I personally prefer vintage Brilharts. These can be tough to find under $400 if they're in good shape, especially the tonalins which are prone to cracks on the shank. Vintage Meyer Bros. New York HR pieces are in VERY high demand (and going for twice what I've seen with the Brillys if the seller knows what they've got) as they're considered some of the best mouthpieces ever made. Manufacturer can have an effect on the piece itself, since some manufactures may have better quality control or design than others, and that can also depend heavily on the vintage (IE Brilharts from before the Selmer buyout are generally considered higher-quality than the post-buyout pieces). However I wouldn't know where to begin comparing all of the manufacturers, because I haven't sampled nearly enough of them.

What difference material makes is a controversial subject, and you'll see it debated quite extensively on the board here. The biggest effects on the mouthpiece are going to be the tip opening and facing length, the size of the window, the thickness of the rails and how even they are, the size of the chamber, and what sort of baffle it has, if any.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
All the modern Bellites I‘ve tried/owned have been consistent with the published tip opening sizes (about 6 different pieces). However, I had a “vintage” Bellite 5 that actually measured at .072.

I wouldn';t be surprised if your 5 which measures at .080 (which is consistent with a Bellite ) had been opened up at some point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts