Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I have less than 3000 posts I do not have to sound that good.

When this forum started more than ten years ago I was personally more present in daily communication. Now I have withdrawn from the visible role and make sure that everything works technically, etc.

It certainly is massaging my ego right way that I have been put on kind of a pedestal. I am taking a big risk now and will post a recent recording for your competent and expert peer review.

If I would be given one wish before death sentence, it would be: Be gentle but honest.

here goes: Stella by Starlight with Bob's Take Away

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! How you doing Harri?
Thanks, I am fine except my tenor had a leak. If you noticed I played second time in the melody the low part octave higher.

The leak is fixed now and we will have another take next Monday. My body is not leaking and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,012 Posts
Just listened to Stella - your tone is great, Harri, and you have good ideas. your recording is well done, but I wish you'd put yourself further forward in the mix - no need to hide behind the drums! (could be my listening situation here in the kids' playroom)

if you want ideas to work on, check out the key centers through stella, and practice slowly through it to make sure you move with the harmony. sounds like you had a gurgle down low too - could be a horn issue, but I bet you could solve it with more air down there. [edit:just read about the leak]

Thanks for doing this! those of us with demanding day jobs can appreciate the energy and commitment it takes to sound good on your horn AFTER a full day's work. Kudos, and I hope we hear more!

Dan

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you want ideas to work on, check out the key centers through stella, and practice slowly through it to make sure you move with the harmony. sounds like you had a gurgle down low too - could be a horn issue, but I bet you could solve it with more air down there.
Dan
Thanks Dan, I appreciate your opinion.

Yes, the gurgle was a horn issue, see above.
What you said of key centers and harmony is really worthwhile. Have to study it further,

Thanks again,

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi Harri,

I'm a newbie to the forum, and you get my 2nd writing here.

Good sound. You swing well, and have good ideas. I look forward to hearing more!!

Jeff J
Lincoln NE

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I would swear that was a recording of someone with at least 3,143 posts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
That was very pretty Harri, and I enjoyed listening to it. I also thought your level could be brought up a bit, but not much or you would lose the nice ensemble sound. The only thing missing was a mojito, but there's not much you can do about that (for us anyway ;)).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Inquireing minds want to know: What's you gear :D :D

Sounds good BTW (despite the leaky horn).

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,215 Posts
I would swear that was a recording of someone with at least 3,143 posts.
no way, I don't sound anywhere near that good :twisted:.......no, seriously, good stuff Harri, I would turn the echo just a little lower .....but that's me!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,083 Posts
Very nice. I listened to it before I read the posts, and I agree with others - you need to be up higher in the mix. It sounds like you're in the back of the room and the keyboard and guitar are up in front. And it's a little heavy on the delay - that's one of the things that makes it sound far away. Your tone is very warm and singing. Come on out front and play!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,099 Posts
It's cool that you posted some stuff - If I were the founder, I'm sure I'd feel the pressure. Of course, that's not nearly as daunting as it would be if you were in the
3000's ....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,241 Posts
For some reason, I don't think anyone is gonna jump in to spoil this party. But hey Harri, great job on a difficult tune. As I was telling Yofis just this morning, when you listen to Miles' version it's sounds as if Coltrane was trying to figure it out as he went along. Again, great job!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Good for you, Harri! It's nice to hear someone who obviously just loves what they are doing.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,043 Posts
Well done. Great to hear you harri!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts