Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good teacher for bebop improvisation in the Bay Area (preferably East Bay)? Doesn't have to be a saxophonist. I take sax lessons and have intermediate technique but want to get deeper into swing feel, bebop phrasing, sharper sense of time, structuring solos melodically, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
A good teacher is always a plus in learning music. I wrote a book that helps many bebop beginners learn bebop licks and phrases as language. Teachers and students are using my "Easy Easy Bebop" method to learn and teach bebop licks and phrases. It might be of some help to you. The book uses a Melodic approach that might interest you. Hopefully you can also find a good local teacher. SOTW members should be able to connect you to a good teacher near you. I mention the book because you seem to be headed in the path of melodically singing thru your instrument and that's the approach I share in the book. Good luck and Good Music.
"Easy Easy Bebop".

·
Premium Member
15,497 Posts
No need to find one in your area.

There are loads of guys who are doing lessons over Skype, so you can take a lesson with a guy anywhere now.
It’s a wonderful thing and there are many great teachers who can help you right over your computer, without you limiting yourself to a teacher in your area.

If you are interested, put up a post here on Sotw, about wanting to take Skype lessons and explain what you want, and you’ll get plenty of great recommendations.

Steve Neff and Tim Price teach lessons over Skype, and both are excellent.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,223 Posts
No need to find one in your area.

There are loads of guys who are doing lessons over Skype, so you can take a lesson with a guy anywhere now.
It’s a wonderful thing and there are many great teachers who can help you right over your computer, without you limiting yourself to a teacher in your area.

If you are interested, put up a post here on Sotw, about wanting to take Skype lessons and explain what you want, and you’ll get plenty of great recommendations.

Steve Neff and Tim Price teach lessons over Skype, and both are excellent.
I do online lessons now! ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
you might contact Clark Supranowitz who runs the Berkeley Jazz Workshop. He knows guys around Berkeley/Oakland. Might be able to help. Dan Zinn is also teaching in Alameda but he's only into the guys who want to practice for 3 hours a day so that might be more than you are looking for. I agree with others, if you don't want to drive somewhere there are many on this forum who are great for Skype, Steve Neff, Randy Hunter, Tim Price, David Rubal, Dave Pollack, others. Look into how these people play and then if you like a player see if the personality of the teacher fits with you. I'd suggest myself for a local guy but I'm 90 minutes away without traffic. These others are very very good Skype teachers . K One question I'd have is why take sax lessons from one person and then jazz theory/improvisation techniques from another. I think you can find one person with both K

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I'm sure you can find many guys to give you lessons on bop, but there is a very specific / idiomatically correct way to play it, so just make sure you get with someone that is really into the historic aspect of playing it.

Bebop is actually quite theoretically simple, as it's essentially the art of V I in linear harmony, but it does take time to get it in your ear correctly. It's much more than licks and really involves a few strong harmonic as well as rhythmic concepts that give it a strong sound.

I have some literature I've written up that I'd be glad to share and also offer online lessons that can be theory specific.

Feel free to email of PM if you want to talk more. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Check out Anton Schwartz. I believe he teaches at the Jazz Conservatory in Berkeley. I once took a 8-notes improvisation class from him there for a trimester.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts