Sax on the Web Forum banner

Beautiful silver Selmer Balanced Action tenor - eBay find

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  whaler 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Was looking at it daily! If I didn’t already have a brilliantly punchy ‘41 silver BA I might have gone for it. I did bid before it got up there but it’s still a rather good deal for someone in my view. Obviously they all vary but the best have power, grit and spread that is a magical blend of attributes quite different to the ensuing SBA and Mark VI models.

Did you buy it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Was looking at it daily! If I didn't already have a brilliantly punchy '41 silver BA I might have gone for it. I did bid before it got up there but it's still a rather good deal for someone in my view. Obviously they all vary but the best have power, grit and spread that is a magical blend of attributes quite different to the ensuing SBA and Mark VI models.

That's what I found when I bought a 1938 BA last June.
SBA's I've tried over the years just sounded like my Early Mark VI bit the BA is a whole another thing.
I wonder if the fact that classical guys got more involved with Selmer design that they kept getting progressively darker.
As much as I dislike silver saxes that one is a beauty.

#4 ·
Yes I agree. Someone should be ecstatic nonetheless. The market for these has, and is, only going one way as people discover how unique sounding they are and how modern their tonal character is. The very best have that incredible punch and cut over the top of an old soul. If you can find one with a bottom end that isn’t unmanageably sharp then you will have an absolute giant-killer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.