Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Beaugnier tenor - not a USA Vito made by Yamaha or Yanigisawa. Silver is preferred, but lacquer can do, too.

Please email pictures and price to [email protected] if you have one.

Thank you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Why are you looking for a Beaugnier ? they are quite rare. You could get another old french horn like Pierret, Couesnon, Dolnet, ... some of them are vrey good ones.

·
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gaston -

I think that is a Boosey and Hawes (British) horn, not Beaugnier. And I think Whaler is right about the neck being bent way too low.

Having played American vintage and modern horns, I now want a vintage French horn just for variety. But more importantly, I think one can find a fine-playing French horn that costs 20-30 times less than the OTHER French one (you know which one I am talking about ;-). And I like the feeling I get when someone asks, "Is it a Selmer?", and I reply: "No, it is a King" (or Conn, depending on what horn I take to gigs).

·
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a closer look, the left-hand cluster keys and low keyguards on that horn look like those on an SML Gold Medal. I wonder if there is some French connection there?

·
Registered
147 Posts
It was a Beaugnier made, i'm sure of that, it was branded made in france, the keyes and key gards was exactly similar to the Beaugnier ones.
I'm not sure the neck was pulled daown, see all pics !
But it does not matter, it's now sold !
;-)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Let you compare with that one, It's not exactly the same because it has the low B and Bb tone hole on the right side of the bell. That's better !

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've seen a tenor on the 'bay EXACTLY like the Dr Sax one but stencilled Boosey & Hawkes. It wasn't an Oxford, but maybe a La Fleur - it was a while ago and I can't be sure now. Seems Beaugnier did stencil horns for B & H but obviously not very many. On the other hand, who didn't they stencil for...?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
GASTON said:
Why are you looking for a Beaugnier ? they are quite rare. You could get another old french horn like Pierret, Couesnon, Dolnet, ... some of them are vrey good ones.
Couesnons and Dolnets are more rare than Beaugniers IMHO (they stenciled a lot, as pointed out above, esp. for Vito). Agree that Dolnet's intonation can be more sketchy than Beaugniers. Beaugniers also beat all of the above ergo-wise, IMHO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2009
434 Posts
AhCheung said:
Couesnons and Dolnets are more rare than Beaugniers IMHO (they stenciled a lot, as pointed out above, esp. for Vito). Agree that Dolnet's intonation can be more sketchy than Beaugniers. Beaugniers also beat all of the above ergo-wise, IMHO.
Yes, but Beaugnier labeled horns are by far the rarest of the lot, right?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
Right! (probably because people are keeping them!)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got an early Vito 35 (leblanc system) alto and a late-model Vito Special tenor (rh bell keys with posts/rods/pinky table arranged like modern selmer), both Beaugnier made. Both are very lively, very responsive and very well tuned. I got good deals on them and expected to turn them around. Now I question if it would be worth parting with them for the going rate. The 35 alto sound is so sweet and deep but very focused and penetrating - it cuts like a knife. It badly needs an overhaul but even while leaking like a lamp it - well, it just seems to want to play itself! (corny, I know, but apt in a way) The tenor has very, very slick action (possibly the fastest and lightest feeling I've tried) and the ergonomics are very similar to my Mark VI tenor, except for the bell angle and position while standing (hardly bothersome). It, too has a very focused, resonant sound but is quite dark with a good amount of resistance for control. It reminds me very much of a Buffet SDA I played, and even the keywork seems similar in certain ways. It is also a bit lighter than the VI - the lack of ribs for the stacks may account for this. (The Vito 35 is heavily ribbed, however. Both horns appear to have very clean, neatly-fitting keywork.)

These horns really do sing. I really can't wait to get the 35 into top shape. Pad recommendations anyone?

·
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Backer,

It is coincidental that you mentioned the SDA: I have just got a minty 1970-71 one. To see some pics, please go to the Buffet section.

So, I am not looking for a Beaugnier anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts