Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here have any idea how to find the right neck screw for a late Beaugnier tenor (s/n 21xxx, rh bell keys)?
I guess an even broader question would be: what measurements/designations does one need to know/take to find/order the appropriate neck screw for his/her horn?
The tenor I have has, I believe, their latest iteration of the lh pinky table. It's very small and quite tilted (if this has any bearing on it - I wouldn't think so, but ?)
I've had this thing sitting around for a couple of years and finally took it in to get it adjusted and regulated, but I forgot the neck screw was missing, and the tech didn't mention it.
Are there sources for purchasing something as simple as a neck screw? I'm guessing it's like any other kind of machine screw, diameter and thread pitch, but I don't really have the tool(s) to take inside measurements. Thanks much!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Go to a real hardware store (not Home Depot) and you will find a selection of metric screws. Try them until you find the correct thread. Then order from McMaster-Carr, Smallparts, Metric & Multistandard, or other sources.

Alternately, go to a musical instrument repair person who's been in business a long time; they'll probably have what you need in the "junk/misc small hardware" drawer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Go to a real hardware store (not Home Depot) and you will find a selection of metric screws.
Thanks! I did just that, and now I know I need a 4mm x .70 screw.
PS ...at least that's what I thought. Doing a little looking around on the internet, I read somewhere that this is the dimension of the Yamaha YAS-23 screw.
I tried one of those (just for diameter fit, it's way too short) but, although the thread pitch seems to be right, it is sloppy loose and I would be afraid of it stripping out.
So...back to the drawing board.

OK, so I took it to the shop and the tech didn't have a screw to fit it, but he did try a few other miscellaneous (not neck) screws lying around.
He says an 8-32 fit perfectly. The problem with this French Vito tenor (the alto is the same I believe) is the required screw is almost twice as long as a standard neck screw.
A 1.2cm screw is not long enough. The tech offered to manufacture something for me, but I really don't want to spend $25-$30 on a neck screw, so the search continues...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts