Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
some years ago I saw jazzmanted's Youtube videos and got really interested in getting a Beaugnier sax.
He mentions some technical differences in these saxes and says that they are the reason that these saxes are so altissimo friendly.
For example he mentions that all toneholes are lined. etc.

The wonderful and ultra professional George from 2ndending.com ( JayePDX here ) sent me a wonderful special alto about one year ago that I've played a LOT since, and I can tell you for a vintage horn it feels and sounds like a monster. Altissimo is really really easy and sounds really normal.

The sax is stamped "Special" and has the selmer egg-style LH pinky table.

https://imageshack.us/user/Sax_ellinas

It seems to be a model 38. Correct me if I'm wrong. I never asked the seller if it writes duke or special on it. I'll see it when it arrives.

Now I got "thirsty" and bought a similar Tenor.

Musical instrument Rectangle Wind instrument Musical instrument accessory Gas

It seems to be a 38 as well or similar model. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know there are lots of Beaugnier enthousiasts here.
I see that both of them have this lined toneholes just as Jazzmanted describes. Same RH and LH keys, similar engraving etc.

Could it be an ingredient of the "holy grail" sound and playability of later Beaugniers?

Because to me a Beugnier is the absolute blend of French and US sound for pennies.

I can't imagine how GREAT these horns are for the money. And believe me I paid for both including shipping from USA + customs fees less than $1500.

I overhauled my alto at the best shop in athens for 350euros and it got insanely good.
I will do the same for the tenor as well.

With this amount of money one can buy questionable quality horns these days. Or a pair of student line Yamahas, that are also great for their money but really really neutral. Very far from the concept of a Beaugnier.

What do you guys think?

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,243 Posts
What is the serial number ? I have a "Duke" alto which looks just like yours. Serial 19075. Plays really good.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the serial number ? I have a "Duke" alto which looks just like yours. Serial 19075. Plays really good.
I'm not at home right now. But it clearly says Special. I assume special=duke ?
On the other hand I've seen specials that don't have the egg shaped spatula ....

Beaugnier is the brand with most design changes however with consistent quality

· Registered
191 Posts
I own a 38 tenor and a 39 alto. The big mechanical difference between the 38 and 39 is in the octave thumb key. The 39s have the modern Selmer style thumb whereas the 38s have one more similar to a Balanced Action. Also they have different pinky clusters. The 39 will have one metal roller on it.

· Registered
191 Posts
Yours looks to be a 38 but can't tell with out seeing the pinky cluster. If it has one more similar to the old Keilwerths then it would be neither a 38 or 39 but the older 37

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,450 Posts
I am not convinced. Special seemed to be used for saxophones that had left side tone holes from serial number 1047 up through serial number 1819 and then the special perfect started some time around serial number 3600. at least 2 of the special perfects had micro tuner necks.

The note from 1246A "Vito Special only 2 bell keys on the left side... C# is on the right side"

so does your sax have its right hand palm/pinkie F# tonehole on the back or on the right side?

· Registered
143 Posts
The Vito "Special" alto I own is on Kim's website, s/n B1032; it has the F# key on the right side.
S/N only a little outside the range you indicate. As far as I know, the "Special" part of it is the lacquer, which has a name but I can't remember it right now.
It's like a frost gold

· Registered
3 Posts
i have a 'special perfect' alto with a completely different-looking pinky cluster from any above. i must say that the beaugnier is a well-kept secret. what an amazing sax, with a fluid, smoky tone and (as everyone notes) great altissimo. i'm still COMPLETELY confused about the vito/leblanc/noblet connection and will have to stick with beaugniers marked 'beaugnier' until someone leads me by the hand.

· Registered
166 Posts
I have played my Vito Duke now for quite some time, and trimmed and tuned it to be a very very good tenor sax. Love the big sound and quite free blowing and the altissimo is easier than on most horn. They should be good. I have done a bit of research and SML was partial owner of the Beaugnier plant. Same springs as SML same style mechanical keywork layout... so very good sax for very little money

· Registered
49 Posts
I'm patiently waiting for the right deal to pop up on one of these, really great value from what I understand. I'm ok with people going out and buy intermediate quality horns for far more and leaving these available for so cheap!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.