Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
Modern & Historical / Charles Chedeville CC1 Alto MPC and Theo Wanne Ambika Soprano MPC
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello BEAUGNIER - Fans.

This is the only C-Soprano from this manufacturer I have ever seen, possibly made in the 1940s, serial number hard to decipher, maybe 29xx (see pics).
It is has been wonderfully restored and overhault by Matt Stohrer this September.

https://youtu.be/BiXcWUoSs9s

It is the most advanced modern feeling/playing C-Soprano I ever encountered - and I played for a while a Buescher Aristocrat (C-Soprano) keyed to high F etc.,
but this one feels open, warm and it has a rather open large sound. It speaks remarkably of the craftsmanship from this company.

Matt confirmed that the design was well thought through - the sax was possibly custom made on special request as this is a more rare horn similar to the
Mark VI C-soprano. The playability increased for me much when I had a strap hook added, since it is so light-weight and short I didn´t feel as free with it without a neck-strap.

Photos are here for collecting interests:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c1066s5mjzc87zw/AAAFDuQwqB2ZbpJZYzzZEVBza?dl=0

Many years ago I had a slightly more modern Bb-Soprano built by Beuagnier as a stencil for the VITO company and it was an equally wonderful player.
Let me know your thoughts - or maybe there are more C´s out there than I think!!
Uwe

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Uwe, I could listen to you talk about saxophones and play that C-soprano all morning. Very cool horn - almost sounds like a clarinet at times. I would love to find a Beaugnier soprano of any variety. Thanks for the great video!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Nice! I have a slightly later Beaugnier Bb soprano that resembles your C soprano a lot, except for a more modern LH pinky table. Same sleek octave and palm keys.

·
Premium Member
Modern & Historical / Charles Chedeville CC1 Alto MPC and Theo Wanne Ambika Soprano MPC
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Dirk, yes, I believe Nick (Enthusiast65) has also one, I played a Bb one (VITO) which had also a more modern pinky table.
Great Dirk!
Whereas the other horns of the Sax family find matching competitors from other companies (BA/SBA Selmer versus Beaugnier Duke model etc.) in their time, the sopranos had virtually no concurrence - the Selmer´s where not as strong in intonation and not a market to explore for Selmer until the MARK VI (maybe), the Buffet Super Dynaction is a fine horn but has from my experience less power and openess, the Couesnon´s of that period are fine but also smaller sounding with more "chunky" keywork, easier to forgive on alto...
Also the American companies did not built improved versions of their sopranos in the 1940s...The only serious competitors could be Pierret (often not so good intonation) and SML in later years 1950s/1960s...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts