Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are there any tenor mouthpieces in the sonic ballpark of a Slant or EB Tone Edge, but with a lower beak profile? I have a New Vintage Slant and like it except for the beak profile, which is uncomfortable to me being mainly an alto player these days. I currently also have an hr D'addario Select Jazz and an EB Super Tonemaster. Both feel much more comfortable to me regarding their beak profiles. However, they have a different vibe to them...

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
If you want to stick with an HR piece you might want to try a Morgan Excalibur they are both lower and narrower and actually sized to take an HR alto piece lig. Ronnie at RPC also typically uses a blank with a lower beak angle for his custom pieces. My Drake bari pieces have lower beaks and narrower profiles as well but I don't know if the tenor pieces are similar in that way but that might be another option. If you're willing to try some metal pieces there are more options that might be suggested.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Morgan Excalibur Tenor mouthpiece has a streamline body so it feels smaller in the mouth. The Excalibur Florida Model is inspired by a Florida Slant Signature Otto Link of the 1960s and the Excalibur Indiana Model is inspired by an Early Babbitt Otto Link of the early 1970s. The Morgan mouthpieces are pure rubber and still handmade...very much like the way Otto Link made mouthpieces back in the 1950 & 1960s. Check out https://www.morganmouthpieces.com/ for more information.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
Are there any tenor mouthpieces in the sonic ballpark of a Slant or EB Tone Edge, but with a lower beak profile? I have a New Vintage Slant and like it except for the beak profile, which is uncomfortable to me being mainly an alto player these days. I currently also have an hr D'addario Select Jazz and a metal Super Tonemaster. Both feel much more comfortable to me regarding their beak profiles. However, they have a different vibe to them...
FWIW I make one, also Theo Wanne's slant copy has a pretty small beak iirc, and the Morgan Excalibur has a smaller beak and body. All I can think of off the top of my head, there could be more.

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES "Innovation over imitation"
15,832 Posts
10mfan mpc have the best beak profile.
I’m glad you like the beak profiles. It’s like anything else, everything is totally subjective. I know guys who love the beaks on my pieces and others who don’t.

There is something out there for everybody, and you just need to find what works best for you.

If the OP is looking for a Link type piece with a lower beak angle, I think he would be very happy with the Morgan or Saxscape pieces that are based off the Links.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,308 Posts
Saxscape mouthpieces have low profile beaks. He has several models from dark to bright with an otto link vibe to them.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,342 Posts
It is often possible to have a refacer shave the beak down a bit. Sometimes it doesn't require that much material to be removed.

·
Registered
6,433 Posts
I wouldn't say it is "the best", kind of a foolish and meaningless expression, but I will say for HR tenor that the Morgan Excalibur are my favorite.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,620 Posts
Another Excalibur fan. Played metal for a very long time because I like a small tenor mouthpiece. Excalibur is nice and small.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The Ted Klum Florida HR mpc has a lower beak. Not cheap, but great workmanship and sound is what you'll get.
I have a Florida 7 which sounds great but I don't care for low beaks, so I build up the beak with tooth protectors. 2or3 usually works well for me.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Beak profiles are crucial to me, I tried for a year recently to adjust to a very fine designer HR tenor mpc..nope, something about the thickness or angle that never felt right, I really wanted to love that mpc. I have replaced it with 3 others, an SS Berg, a rubber Brilhart and a STM NY Link.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Are there any tenor mouthpieces in the sonic ballpark of a Slant or EB Tone Edge, but with a lower beak profile? I have a New Vintage Slant and like it except for the beak profile, which is uncomfortable to me being mainly an alto player these days. I currently also have an hr D'addario Select Jazz and a metal Super Tonemaster. Both feel much more comfortable to me regarding their beak profiles. However, they have a different vibe to them...
Lakey Classic HR is worth a try, truly great on alto, tenor is plenty good too..nice beak profile, try to find an older one if you can. They got a bad rap yrs back on SOTW, I never understood 'cause I had played them...but I'm pretty sure some boutique makers didn't like how damn good they were for so little $$

Perhaps not the best for a novice player, it is a very sensitive mpc, but got balls for days..some say "too bright" they can play plenty dark too if needed, check out my recording of "Body and Soul" on my old demo reel, it's a Lakey.

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
It’s odd how accustomed your embouchure can get to a certain profile.
I can’t play anything pea shooter anymore. The profile of an STM or Tone Edge seems perfect.
I’d take the advice of finding what you like and having the beak taken down. The only thing is you’ll probably find it will brighten it up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts