Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got sand and surf air all over the horns-do I rinse the horns with fresh water, I'm thinking about putting them in the tub, the sand and sulfer in the air are worse than the fresh water-but I gotta do this right away, I'm afraid the horn will freeze up, rust etc, anyone know about this?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
I live where there's nothing but 'sand and surf air'-plus volcanic gasses added. Unless your horns actually have sand in them and/or fell in the ocean, a good wipe-down with a damp cloth should do fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
viper said:
I got sand and surf air all over the horns-do I rinse the horns with fresh water, I'm thinking about putting them in the tub, the sand and sulfer in the air are worse than the fresh water-but I gotta do this right away, I'm afraid the horn will freeze up, rust etc, anyone know about this?
If you use water, use distillated/demineralized water. But as hakukani sez - a damp cloth should do.

·
Registered
769 Posts
A damp cloth, cotton swabs/q-tips, and compressed air is what I've used in the past. Then put some pledge furniture polish on the thing and you'll be all set.

Please note...be careful with the sand. You wouldn't want it possibly scratching your finish.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Dont go soakin in the tub unless you're ready to replace the pads anyway, because they arent gonna survive the dip.

Take care of the horn as described above and if its gotten in and actually gotten in the pads(unlikely unless its fallen into the surf) then you're going to need to head to the tech for the repad anyway

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
IMO if your sax is going to be exposed to a harsh environment as described, make sure the steel rods and moving parts are periodically cleaned and re-oiled as they need to be protected against the corrosives of salt. If it hasn't been oiled properly in a while, I suggest you do this pronto. Especially in a windy beach locale, minute sand and salt particles can accumulate over time in every seam and nook it can find, so maintenance at regular intervals will keep your instrument working well. The old addage "an ounce of prevention" is "a word to the wise" here. ;)

ps - I think a natural wind induced sand-blasted finish would be kinda cool. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts