Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
667 Posts
Right! The laser etching on the bell, the wrong bell to body brace, and no logo button on the octave key are immediate clues here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
I saw that, too...reported it to ebay and emailed the seller to let him know what an obvious fake it is.
Which in this sort of case does absolutely nothing. Only Yamaha can have it pulled as a counterfeit, so best to notify them if you're so inclined.

·
25,985 Posts
To report this obvious counterfeit...
Obvious to you, but given the millions of ebay items do you suppose someone at ebay is simply going to take your word? Competitors would be shutting down each others auctions every minute of every hour of every day if that were the case.

Again, if you feel compelled to be an ebay avenger, report it to Yamaha. Then let them deal with it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Which in this sort of case does absolutely nothing. Only Yamaha can have it pulled as a counterfeit, so best to notify them if you're so inclined.
I reported another fake to Yamaha a few months ago. They thanked me for contacting them, then did nothing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
It does make one wonder what in the heck these thieves are thinking when they fake a saxophone. But I've seen fake baby formula, fake GM brake pads, and other innocuous fake items in my time (12 years) with the MPAA's U.S. Anti-Piracy Operations. There seems to be no limit to what a pirate will do to turn a buck. DAVE

·
Registered
681 Posts
It does make one wonder what in the heck these thieves are thinking when they fake a saxophone. But I've seen fake baby formula, fake GM brake pads, and other innocuous fake items in my time (12 years) with the MPAA's U.S. Anti-Piracy Operations. There seems to be no limit to what a pirate will do to turn a buck. DAVE
What's bad with things like this on ebay, is a lot of times the person selling it has 0 clue that it is a fake. They probably bought it as legit, and thought it was. Then they try to sell it and find it is a fake.

·
14,268 Posts
robbieg: True, but in my travels, I've found that many folks in possession of fake items know full-well what they have - and often gloat about the fact that they have one that looks just like mine but they paid a lot less for theirs (Rolex watches, for instance). In the case of lesser fake products, the distributors are the one's who KNOW, the buyers probably know or should have known, but such is life. DAVE

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've seen fake circuit breakers which is a truly shocking thought (sorry for the bad pun). I don't have anything like Dave's experience with this topic, but I always thought that they usually counterfeited the most expensive products (like Reference 54 altos or Gucci handbags). The Yamaha 62 doesn't seem to fit that pattern.

·
25,985 Posts
sold for $1076USD and no explanation from seller saying it "could be" a FAKE.
If you can't discern that this is a counterfeit horn, you have no business on ebay looking for them. It has always been buyer beware, and a gamble.

·
14,268 Posts
Bottles of baby-formula and replacement brake shoes/pads certainly are not high-end items. Some pirated items (like home videos, about which I was a court-qualified expert) were done domestically in many countries, including in SoCal and NYC). Others, like Rolexes and Oakley glasses) were done in Asia. But regardless of the value of an authentic item, you can count on it being copied by some crook. Value is not an issue when it comes to piracy. However, in deciding whether the crime is a misdemeanor or a felony under US copyright law, the item’s value under US law is a factor. DAVE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts