Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. A friend of mine recently got his hands on this recording of this fairly recent BBC documentary. Sadly I learned google video is no longer accepts uploads, so here it is. Hope someone can find a better place to stream it, or break it up and post on youtube to share and educate others about Bird. Especially the younger generation and those beginning middle school band, start practicing early!!!

The only part I disagreed with was some of the interviewees trying to imply Bird "created" Bebop, he was a leading exponent and revolutionary no doubt though the musical milieu at the time provided the perfect context and harmonic complement for his genius.

Bird Lives...
http://tinyurl.com/29o2ps4

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) Spread the word!!! Anyone willing or able to post it to youtube or elsewhere?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,160 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I'm only getting the audio, no video....

I need to download the "XVID MPEG-4 (XVID)" codec for Windows Media Player.

Does anyone have a safe link?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
A four year-old download link that still works! Thank you! :)

Just watched this great doco and aside from Bird's horn looking like a asian VI copy the re-enactments were quite good (and spot on showing him playing tenor in the Sweet Georgia Brown clip) and often the stand-in player does actually mime or play the solo in sync very well.

But one very irksome moment was the obnoxious tour guide at the Kansas City American Jazz Museum saying:
1) that Parker's 1947 Super 20 silver bell gave him a 'richer sound' and its keys were designed for his fast playing technique.
2) that most people who played a Grafton sounded 'like a kid playing a kazoo' (Ornette Coleman anyone?) unless you were Parker of course
3) and that Parker's Grafton is worth more than $300,000 but every other Grafton is only 'worth about 75-80 bucks'!

Still a good documentary; thanks again! :mrgreen:
V

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,192 Posts
Thank You, Much Obliged!
Amongst the many things that I knew already, one I didn’t know and this that the two films which show him playing with several other important artists. He plays with Coleman Hawkins and during Hawkins's solo he appears to be laughing.

He is not laughing AT Hawkins but because they were all playing on a pre recoded base ( and that includes the hilarious Buddy Rich’s solo!)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah, people often say that in the video with Hawk, Bird is laughing AT him. I find that very hard to believe. While Bird wasn't as enamored with Hawk as Prez, he still had immense respect for the guy and surely learned a thing or two from him.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,160 Posts
Thank You, Much Obliged!
Amongst the many things that I knew already, one I didn’t know and this that the two films which show him playing with several other important artists. He plays with Coleman Hawkins and during Hawkins's solo he appears to be laughing.

He is not laughing AT Hawkins but because they were all playing on a pre recoded...
You can actually see Hawkins laugh, or at least smile, when finds himself taking a breath at the wrong place. Who knows the actual situation, they may have had a bet on who could lip synch the best. Or the worst.

Whatever it looks like some kind of joke between the two of them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,192 Posts
.......Whatever it looks like some kind of joke between the two of them.
Definitely, these are two equals having fun of the absurd situation which gets really terrible with Buddy Rich’s solo, which was very energetic on tape and couldn’t have been synchronized to save his life.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I love that video. Yes, when the drum solo starts, Bird cannot stop smiling.

You can tell Hawkins is suppressing laughter after Bird starts laughing. You can also definitely tell when the director tells Bird to knock it off. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts