Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
You could do that. You'd need about 800 of 'em per sax, though. And they'd want to fall off, and then it's sneak attack time!
Aaahh, because voltage in the US is 110v, as opposed to 240v in the UK, that means the current carrying capacity of the any cable would need to be over twice for the same amount of power use... Think 'Ohms Law'.

So that means the US wire would be much thicker (no comments please...), therefore the stripped US insulation would have a much larger internal bore, therefore would be more liable to slip off springs than the tenaciously narrower UK stuff, right ? We'll send you some of our UK cable, Paul.

(please note that at no time did I use the expression "so a layman can understand"... :bluewink:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Pardon the hyperbole - if they've told me once they've told me 1000 times: "don't exaggerate." :lol:
Good word "hyperbole"...hardly the most phonetic of words. I have a distant aunt named Persephone who was frequently called Percy-Phone by those who had seen her name only in print.

Needle springs.....Is there a real need for them to be so pointy?
Clearly they are tapered to allow a progressive bend along their length.....Bowyers called it Tillering.
There is surely no need for them to finish as a point....that could be cropped off to save injuries.
Come to think of it, there is no need even for them to be tapered... as their operation does not permit enough angular displacement to make this necessary...they would work just as well as lengths of spring wire.
Perhaps sax "techs" are meant to suffer for their craft.

·
2,058 Posts

·
2,058 Posts
No, just their customers :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:
I should point out that I was just having a gentle dig at some of the long-established 'professional' contributors to the 'Sax Repair, Maintenance and Modification' section, who do seem to frequently ramp up the testosterone to alarming levels...

I'm pleasantly surprised that they have the spare time to (often) go into such long diatribes. Thank goodness our own young Mr Howard refrains from the verbal scrummage that often ensues between the continents and colonies.

Enjoyable, and very enlightening, tho' :soapbox:

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Professional flutes have gold alloy springs that are single diameter wire. They are held in place by flattening one end so it will be tight in the action. Of course the tension is much lower.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I should point out that I was just having a gentle dig at some of the long-established 'professional' contributors to the 'Sax Repair, Maintenance and Modification' section, who do seem to frequently ramp up the testosterone to alarming levels...

I'm pleasantly surprised that they have the spare time to (often) go into such long diatribes. Thank goodness our own young Mr Howard refrains from the verbal scrummage that often ensues between the continents and colonies.

Enjoyable, and very enlightening, tho' :soapbox:
Yes....it can become quite fiery on that board.
The vast majority of the repairers are modest & competent...realising that their skills amount to good detail fitting.
Others however, consider their skills on a level with Amati or Stradivari. Recently one know-it-all became embroiled in an argument over Bueschers with jaicaro...no chance; rather like the local curate arguing against evolution with Dickie Dawkins.
On one occasion I had the temerity to suggest that, possibly, man made materials would make better pads than bits of dead animal....&, predictably, I was submitted to the wrath & scorn of the prima donnas.
So pleased that the C tenor board is so gentle.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts