Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,637 Posts
the site seems to be down at the moment

If you can publish, the photos by " going advanced" on the forum

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I copied the photos from the site and tried to download them to this message. After 10 minutes of waiting for the download to finish I gave up. I had no problem getting on the site. I got there by clicking on the link in the thread. How frustrating.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I think you're right. I have a 1919 Buescher C that looks very similar. Even the sillouette face as a brace on the neck looks the same. I'm not familiar with antique tenor Bueschers, mine is from the 50's and is lacquer not silver plate. It looks like a nice horn though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
The page loads fine here. Not 100% sure but it looks like a Bb tenor to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Almost certainly a Bb tenor...judged by the relative lengths of the body tube to bell length.
The bell of a C tenor would be longer.
Nice looking horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
Seems to be a slight Goodwill problem - I now get "We're sorry - The site is currently under maintenance, please check back again shortly.", so maybe they're upgrading on a quiet Sunday, and it comes and goes...

(edit) Heheh - when I came back in a little while later to see if the link works now, all I got was a SoTW message - "The SOTW forum on this server is down for data base back-up" - as it's raining, I guess a little snooze would be in order...zzz...

·
Registered
53 Posts
a C tenor has a pad and guard directly above the thumb rest , a Bb does not...looks like a Bb to me

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Bb Tenor for sure.

The file up-loader here is atrociously bad. :evil: I can get it to work less than half of the time. :soapbox:

·
2,058 Posts
Yes, it's almost certainly a Bb tenor, one picture definitely shows the bottom leg of the bell 'B' guard is literally on the bell-to-bow joint, on every Buescher C-Mel I've seen (including the two I have here at the moment) it's about an inch further up the bell, well clear of the joint - there is a very obvious difference.

My 'split' Martin vintage Bb tenor 'B leg' is also on the bow joint, whereas a C isn't.

(And I've just stabbed my thumb on a bl**dy spring, checking, grrrr and ouch, blood everywhere...)

·
6,715 Posts
Yes, it's almost certainly a Bb tenor, one picture definitely shows the bottom leg of the bell 'B' guard is literally on the bell-to-bow joint, on every Buescher C-Mel I've seen (including the two I have here at the moment) it's about an inch further up the bell, well clear of the joint - there is a very obvious difference.

My 'split' Martin vintage Bb tenor 'B leg' is also on the bow joint, whereas a C isn't.

(And I've just stabbed my thumb on a bl**dy spring, checking, grrrr and ouch, blood everywhere...)
Was it not you who advised us to always slide a piece of small tubing, like electrical wire insulation, over the springs to prevent just that? :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
You could do that. You'd need about 800 of 'em per sax, though. And they'd want to fall off, and then it's sneak attack time!

·
6,715 Posts
You could do that. You'd need about 800 of 'em per sax, though. And they'd want to fall off, and then it's sneak attack time!
None of my saxes has 800 springs....I slide off enough insulation to cover the length of a spring.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Pardon the hyperbole - if they've told me once they've told me 1000 times: "don't exaggerate." :lol:

·
2,058 Posts
Was it not you who advised us to always slide a piece of small tubing, like electrical wire insulation, over the springs to prevent just that? :mrgreen:
Yersss... It's a 'fair cop guv' - but in my defence the sax has only just been stripped, 'pre overhaul', so I haven't got around to putting the three miles of sleeving over the springs yet [rolleyes].

1 - 20 of 27 Posts