Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one of these recently, and it's a very interesting ligature. Seems to be Bay's take on the Winslow (one screw on the top and a "floating plate" at the bottom, made from his traditional thin metal) I'm curious if anyone else has tried one of these...you can't get them except directly from him, and I haven't heard of too many people using them, but I've had a really good experience so far with mine...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just sold one on ebay about a week ago. Getting anything from Bay lately is very difficult, because he mainly does large orders to dealers overseas and is involved in many projects. It took me a couple months to get mine from him. The Quintessence does have the minimal contact similar to a Francois Louis lig, but with a more traditional enclosure. Very freeblowing lig. I sold it because like the Louis lig, it can be difficult to work with when adjusting the tuning and has a tendency to slip a little. If you have one, be sure to use plenty of grease on the cork so it is easier to tune without the ligature slipping.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LeftySaxDude said:
I just sold one on ebay about a week ago. Getting anything from Bay lately is very difficult, because he mainly does large orders to dealers overseas and is involved in many projects. It took me a couple months to get mine from him. The Quintessence does have the minimal contact similar to a Francois Louis lig, but with a more traditional enclosure. Very freeblowing lig. I sold it because like the Louis lig, it can be difficult to work with when adjusting the tuning and has a tendency to slip a little. If you have one, be sure to use plenty of grease on the cork so it is easier to tune without the ligature slipping.
Heh. You sold it to me!

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
353 Posts
J.Max said:
Heh. You sold it to me!
I just got red in the face.... Yeah, there are only a few of these around. How do you like the lig? I hope more than I did. I just started using a Lebayle LR lig as a replacement for that quintessence. It's a very strange ligature, like a brass ring wrapped in lizard skin.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LeftySaxDude said:
I just got red in the face.... Yeah, there are only a few of these around. How do you like the lig? I hope more than I did. I just started using a Lebayle LR lig as a replacement for that quintessence. It's a very strange ligature, like a brass ring wrapped in lizard skin.
I like it. It reminds me of a Winslow, which was the general idea. I used one of his Baroque ligs before and just didn't like the way that it felt, but this one is much better.

Never heard of the Lebayle LR before. It looks really odd, almost like a Ripamonte or Bois but in metal with alligator skin. The "Scala" (on his website) looks pretty interesting too. How does it play?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts