Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just (at last) taken delivery on my Bauhaus, so here are first impressions. It took awhile to arrive as Sax.co.uk were out of stock and it's had to come on the Slow Boat from China.

Mine is the action improved with real shoulderless point screws, etc. It's a nice little horn in bronze with brass keywork, and the action feels pretty positive and tight. Construction seems of high quality and solid.

On playing it the intonation also sounds pretty positive - the only tuning issues seem to be from top B and above, where things get a little sharp. Also, side C is notably sharper than front C, but nothing that can't be worked round. It's hardly surprising on such a small instrument, I feel.

Tone sounds pretty pleasant - definitely brighter than my Yani S6 sop, but that may be because I use a Morgan Vintage which is particularly mellow on the sop. Overall I'm pretty impressed as a newbie sopranino player - I don't sound like a duck, and I can see uses for it in various settings. Not so hard to tame as I feared, though subtone may take a little while to master...

The only surprising issue at all was that, using the Yani metal mouthpiece I bought with it, I get quite a lot of high octave overtones playing fast passages at the bottom. Oddly enough there's no problem with the cheapo mouthpiece that came with it. The latter feels a little less precise, and is harder work if I'm fool enough to try altissimo, but gives apretty good sound so I might use that for awhile. Maybe I just need to work on embouchure - it is a bit like trying to suck a pencil...

At just over £800 (UK) it would seem hard to get better value for money.

·
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah - discovered soft spring on D palm key. Tightening that solves intonation issues and most of breathiness on low notes. Only other issue found was poor pad setting on C# spatula. Sweet as a nut now - very mellow.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sounds like it is a good horn. Is it the bronze one ? I wonder how it might compare with the J Packer Atom? I found with my Chinese made nino (a Conn-Selmer, to high F#) that a Yani piece was far the best because it mellowed it down hugely, it is so bright otherwise. Having said that I'm now playing a Vandoren mouthpiece on it, even though it is less mellow it is much more versatile and easier to play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
A Conn-Selmer nino to high F#? Is this horn still available? I tried Googling it, but no luck.

·
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like it is a good horn. Is it the bronze one ? I wonder how it might compare with the J Packer Atom? I found with my Chinese made nino (a Conn-Selmer, to high F#) that a Yani piece was far the best because it mellowed it down hugely, it is so bright otherwise. Having said that I'm now playing a Vandoren mouthpiece on it, even though it is less mellow it is much more versatile and easier to play.
Yup - pretty bronze with brass keywork to make it sound ... just like brass with bronze keywork, I guess. I've not seen a Packer (though they're based only 16 miles from here), but I would judge that if they're anything like the sops or altos, the Bauhaus is significantly more solid. Certainly getting more pleased with it the more I play it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
@Paulwl I think its the same as the Jinbao nino. For some reason mine is engraved "Prelude by Conn-Selmer"...maybe it was part of a batch that was never needed? The same horn is sold on ebay for around £300 or so...mine is a great little horn, very well put together, great tuning and intonation and good feel (once I'd replaced the plasticpearls for real pearls anyway!) it plays particularly well with a Yani mouthpiece too.

I'd love to try the Bauhas nino it sounds like a great horn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts