Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know this tenor battle recording for a long time, but never saw a clip before on YouTube or on SOTW.
Just found below clip on YT and wanted to share it here :):

or

First solo by Sil Austin at 1:16, second solo by Red Prysock at 5:34, killing trading chorusses at 9:25.

PUT YOUR FIRE ALARM OFF WHILE LISTENING, THIS IS TOO HOT FOR WORDS !!!

Enjoy :).

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,303 Posts
I use to listen to this album all the time---- such a killer lesson in tenor playing.
Huge sounding tenors!!!!!

Clarence Clemons told me that Sil was his hero growing up.
He once asked me who I thought the greatest saxophone player alive was, and I told him Phil Woods was my man. He told me that he had played with Dave Koz, and that Dave was the greatest sax man alive, in his opinion.
He wasnt kidding either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Good stuff. Funny how they reversed the negative on the album cover to get Sil Austin to face his "opponent." It seems like Austin relied more on the screaming Rock and Roll gimmicks and sound effects which were popular with the younger kids at the time. Also an interesting comparison between Conn and Selmer.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Yeah, I've got that recording, as well as others by both players. As a younger musician, I never gave guys like this much respect because I considered their playing crass. It's only in the last decade that I started listening to them as a sax player who needed ideas to play in cover bands and found myself getting a real kick out of them in the process. Thanks for posting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
wild, whacky stuff

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,545 Posts
Is this "Kenny's Blues"?

·
Premium Member
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this "Kenny's Blues"?
They play "Noº 1 Sil" in this clip. "Kenny's Blues" is a much more relaxed blues played at the same session. They also did a long and killing version of "Take The A-Train", in which Red outplayed Sil by far (being a more allround muscian IMO).

·
Premium Member
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I've got that recording, as well as others by both players. As a younger musician, I never gave guys like this much respect because I considered their playing crass. It's only in the last decade that I started listening to them as a sax player who needed ideas to play in cover bands and found myself getting a real kick out of them in the process. Thanks for posting.
I have the same Gary. I always loved big sound tenors from the moment I started listening to Jazz, but also 'evolved' later on to more sophisticated players like Parker, Coltrane and others. But lately I'm listening again much more to the old guys with the big sound (Cobb, Jacquet, Lockjaw, Griffin, Quebec, Webster, Hawk, Forrest, ...), including the R&B screamers coming from them (like Austin and Prysock). It's also that kind of music I like to play myself the most now.

·
Premium Member
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good stuff. Funny how they reversed the negative on the album cover to get Sil Austin to face his "opponent." It seems like Austin relied more on the screaming Rock and Roll gimmicks and sound effects which were popular with the younger kids at the time. Also an interesting comparison between Conn and Selmer.
I think Sil was more rooted into the blues, Red seems more of an allround player to me. I have seen Austin in a R&R master class in Amsterdam back in 1984 (together with Boots Randolph and Lee Allen). Sil told during that master class that he played an 8* Otto Link, but he didn't sound as edgy in 1984 as in the clip above. Seems almost like he installed a very high baffle in that Link, having so much edge and brightness in his sound.

·
Premium Member
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI-- Red Prysock passed away in 1993. May he rest in peace.
Thanks for the addition BookerFan, I also found that on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Prysock

The 'Battle Royal' album with Sil Austin was recorded in 1959.

I have seen almost all big names in Jazz in The Netherlands at the North Sea Jazzfestival, but never saw Red Prysock life. Just found out that he performed at this NL festival in 1990 (http://www.northseajazz.com/nl/programma/1990/vrijdag-13-juli/10351_arthur-prysock-red-prysock-band). I did visit that festival (have seen about 30 editions :)), but I was (unfortunately) not aware of Red in those days. A missed change I can't correct anymore :|.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Is this "Kenny's Blues"?
Great Clip! Sil Austin and Red Prysock were of course both great honkers and ballad squeezers in the R&B tenor tradition, but in my opinion Prysock's talent was something special (not that Austin's wasn't too).

I believe that head is derived from Bill Doggett's tune "Honey Boy." Although we usually associate Doggett originals with Clifford Scott, the tenor player on the original Honey Boy was the great Percy France.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,545 Posts
"Kenny's Blues" is a much more relaxed blues played at the same session.
I believe that head is derived from Bill Doggett's tune "Honey Boy."
Thanks guys. I was trying to figure out who the guitar player was on the first clip in this thread. Since one of the tunes is called Kenny's Blues, i was thinking it might be Kenny Burrell who is listed in the credits along with Everet Barksdale as the guitarists. However, after hearing the fabulous Doggett youtube link, I'm wondering if it could be Billy Butler. The guitarist with Sil and Red tune is too aggressive to be Burrell and too sophisticated to be Barksdale. (Butler sounds absolutely wonderful on the Doggett clip.)

·
Premium Member
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe that head is derived from Bill Doggett's tune "Honey Boy."
Good find Rory, thanks :).

I was trying to figure out who the guitar player was on the first clip in this thread. Since one of the tunes is called Kenny's Blues, i was thinking it might be Kenny Burrell who is listed in the credits along with Everet Barksdale as the guitarists. However, after hearing the fabulous Doggett youtube link, I'm wondering if it could be Billy Butler. The guitarist with Sil and Red tune is too aggressive to be Burrell and too sophisticated to be Barksdale. (Butler sounds absolutely wonderful on the Doggett clip.)
I just listened to "Kenny's Blues" (on my PC) and hear two guitarist in that take, Kenny Burell as lead and (most probably, because he is mentioned in the credits and played a lot with bass player Milt Hinton, also in the clip) Everett Barksdale on rhythm guitar. He plays much softer and less aggressive in this more relaxed cut of the session, but I still think he is the same guy playing in "No. 1 Sil" of post #1. He sounds indeed far more aggressive in that take, but who could stay cool in such a session :bluewink:?!

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2016
908 Posts
Hi all,

I know this tenor battle recording for a long time, but never saw a clip before on YouTube or on SOTW.
Just found below clip on YT and wanted to share it here :):

or

First solo by Sil Austin at 1:16, second solo by Red Prysock at 5:34, killing trading chorusses at 9:25.

PUT YOUR FIRE ALARM OFF WHILE LISTENING, THIS IS TOO HOT FOR WORDS !!!

Enjoy :).
Fantastic. Ordered on Amazon before the end of the first solo...
J

1 - 17 of 17 Posts