Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I currently play a Yanagisawa T992, with a 10mfan merlot mouthpiece. I'm pretty happy with my setup but I would like to produce a more vintage sound.

I'm currently looking to buy a second tenor and was thinking of either a signature custom raw XS or the Eastman 52nd Street. Has anybody any playing experience of either or both of these saxophones and if so, can you ket me know what your thoughts are on them.

I've heard they are quite heavy, which could be an issue for me, unfortunately. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Audrey

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,444 Posts
You already have a pro tenor, so why not work on your sound?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I currently play a Yanagisawa T992, with a 10mfan merlot mouthpiece. I'm pretty happy with my setup but I would like to produce a more vintage sound.
What vintage?

Seriously.

Who are you trying to emulate?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

I have a few concerns about buying a vintage horn. Firstly, I'm nervous about maintenance on an older horn. I'm not sure I could find a technician to work on it. Secondly, ergonomically I've heard the keywork is quite different on vintage horns. Is this correct?I'm worried my small hands / fingers will struggle and some injuries may occur. Lastly, the market here for vintage horns is quite small. I would probably have to have a vintage horn shipped to me without test playing, which I've heard is a risky business, in which case I would need to enlist the services of a good technician.

I just wouldn't know what to look for either. As you can tell, my knowledge on such things is limited. I had thought an unlacquered modern horn would be a better option for me and wondered what people thought of them.

Audrey

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@1saxman. Thanks. Yeah, I do try to work on my sound (and everything else!). I'm by no means an accomplished player but truth be told, I've saved some money and just fancied a new toy. 😉 I do like the look of these unlacquered horns a lot. They are very different to what I have already.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hey Audsnire. I'm with 1saxman.

I think you are better off doing a lot of listening and imitating the phrasing of famous musicians you admire then buying a new horn.
A new horn would be fun, but not because your sound will change dramatically.
If you go to the What's Your Tenor Sax Setup thread here...

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?47419-What-s-Your-Tenor-Setup/page51

Go to post #1013.
Dana in Philly sounds pretty "vintage" on a T901.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Dr G. I've always been a big fan of Stan Getz but lately I've been drawn to Dexter Gordon's or Sonny Rollins' sound.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
@1saxman. Thanks. Yeah, I do try to work on my sound (and everything else!). I'm by no means an accomplished player but truth be told, I've saved some money and just fancied a new toy. 😉 I do like the look of these unlacquered horns a lot. They are very different to what I have already.
Hi Audsnire. If what you're really looking for is a new toy, for something different, do you have a soprano or alto already?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
There's nothing you can't do with a T992 properly setted up.
From the factory, Yanagisawas can come setted pretty low in pitch (=keywork setted very very low, below 8 mm @low F).
Once setted up properly... it's a very versatile horn.

The hr Merlot sounds towards the dark side and pretty neutral: it's amazingly versatile mouthpiece...
It's has not the colour of some older vintage piece... but it gives you the freedom to shape your sound much more than "traditional" design (say... "Otto Link inspired" mouthpiece).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Christian1,

I have an alto that I play very occasionally (a yani a902). I do enjoy it but prefer the tenor. I don't have a soprano though. It might be worth consideration. Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
@Dr G. I've always been a big fan of Stan Getz but lately I've been drawn to Dexter Gordon's or Sonny Rollins' sound.
You won’t find any of those sounds as particularly “vintage”. Their horns were all of the modern period.

Check out Gene Ammons and Stanley Turrentine for some more classic tenor tones.

You’re set for a horn - no NEED to get another.

Mouthpiece questing is another story, one that can be consuming. A good, middle-of-the-path design is all you need. I’ve a Morgan Fry Link-inspired hard rubber piece that is very good (flexible, responsive, etc.). Those may be more available on your side of the pond, and highly recommended.

Tenor - It’s all that matters.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Tzadik Thanks Tzadik. I do love my Yani T992. I bought it second hand and had a repair technician check it over and make the necessary adjustments. He deals in yanagisawa and other modern horns and very kindly took the job on. It's set up nicely.

I would really love a true vintage horn but for someone like me, who has never even held one, let alone play tested one I think it would be a risk, given the market is so small here. I guess i could travel to the UK to try some but again, my knowledge of vintage horns is quite limited. I think a grade A vintage horn in the class of a selmer mk vi would probably be wasted on me anyway. Still, it'd be lovely to try one. 😉 I would need to check if my repair technician would be willing to take on any repairs etc. too.

I had thought a modern horn with a vintage look was a good option. Now i'm not so sure. Perhaps I should keep saving my pennies and a vintage horn will come my way. Perhaps perhaps perhaps!

Thanks for your advice.

Audrey

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
I sold a copy of Stan's personal Slant Signature few months ago (https://www.facebook.com/509654555758777/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1932919266765625)...
But if you don't have that sound concept in mind... and don't know how to produce that "woody" sound... nothing gonna happen.

None of the two horns in the title can compare (in quality) with a Yanagisawa.
They have a different sound/vibe... but quality/wise they are not at the same level.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, i had looked at the Berkley copies a while back but opted for the 10mfan merlot instead. I think i made the right choice. 🙂

·
Registered
603 Posts
I sold a copy of Stan's personal Slant Signature few months ago (https://www.facebook.com/509654555758777/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1932919266765625)...
But if you don't have that sound concept in mind... and don't know how to produce that "woody" sound... nothing gonna happen.

None of the two horns in the title can compare (in quality) with a Yanagisawa.
They have a different sound/vibe... but quality/wise they are not at the same level.
The Trevor James Signature Raw saxophones are absolutely top quality horns. Check out Stephen Howard's review

1 - 20 of 54 Posts