Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been using an sm57 on a stand, and am planning to switch to a clip-on. For small venues I go direct through a Roland KC350 keyboard amp (no phantom power) rather than through the house PA. I know the ATM350 supports battery power, but can the Shure beta 98 h/c (the wired one) also operate off a battery for phantom power? Can't seem to tell from the specs. Thanks.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
phantom power boxes aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Have been using an sm57 on a stand, and am planning to switch to a clip-on. For small venues I go direct through a Roland KC350 keyboard amp (no phantom power) rather than through the house PA. I know the ATM350 supports battery power, but can the Shure beta 98 h/c (the wired one) also operate off a battery for phantom power? Can't seem to tell from the specs. Thanks.
I was not able to answer this question until I went to a store and opened the box. The wired Shure beta 98 does NOT have a way to supply its own phantom power from a battery. Do not be fooled by the in wire "bump" on the Shure Beta 98. It is not a preamp in the same sense that an ATM35 battery powered belt pack is a preamp, even though some of the web info about the wired Shure Beta 98 calls this "bump" a preamp.

I had an ATM35 with the battery powered belt pack for many years, so I know exactly what you are talking about. I had been ready to purchase the wired Shure Beta 98 until I found out the info above. Similar to you, I wanted to connect it to the XLR input jack on my Roland (KC-150) keyboard amp. I ended up purchasing a Wireless Samson Airline 77 for only about $65 more than what the wired Shure Beta 98 would have cost me (just picked it up Saturday). I have not tried my Samson at a gig yet, so I am not sure yet how its wireless connectivity will work for me in real life.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've used the ART battery operated Phantom power black box that has two in/out signal paths. Works like a charm. The one I have is about 5 years old and was supplied with a wall wart adapter you can use, or take it w/o the wart and insert the battery. I was pleased with it.

I use the same mic you are talking about. I've now gone wireless, but still keep that ART Phantom box and a couple of xlr cables thrown in my "road junk bag" just in case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts