Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm playing Reed 2 for The Big Fish. Crazy book -- calls for Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Tenor Sax, Bari Sax and Bassoon.

I've always just played bassoon parts on the bari, but my colleague suggested I play it on bass clarinet instead.

Just curious if others have a strong opinion on which instrument would sound best?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Need it to stand out? I would use bari. Want it to compliment and support the ensemble? I would use the bass clarinet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
For me, it depends on two things: 1) How much control you have on bari - can you play it in a way that represents a bassoon, or are you a honker? What mouthpiece are you playing on bari? and 2) Are you able to transpose equally well from bassoon to bass clarinet/bari sax?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Very good points already said!

Transposing from bassclef to bariton is easy. Transposing from violin clef to clarinet in Bb is easy with a bit of practice and if the music isn't too complicated (for me). But transposing from bassclef to violinclef in Bb (bassoon too bassclarinet) is too much for me to be done fluently.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
My take:
If the bassoon part is in bass clef, play it on baritone.
If it's in tenor clef. play it on tenor sax or bass clarinet.

In either case, you'll be able to read the notes from their written locations with appropriate key signature adjustments, and you'll want to blend accordingly to the bassoon's role (solo or supporting).

Alan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like to think I have the versatility to honk or be pretty. Probably err on the pretty side since I more of a clarinetist than saxophonist. Personally, I thought I was being pretty melodic and bassoon-like. But I played it on bass cl yesterday and the French horn player sitting in front of me voted for that over my bari rendition. Problem with playing it on bass cl is that I start off on long sustained Ab just above the staff. Getting that note to sound from scratch isn't a given and when it does it is stuffy. Must admit that parts of the song did sound better on the bass cl and, in theory, we are mic'd (but I question how well) so projection shouldn't be an issue. I think I'll stick with bass cl for this number and bari for the rest of the bassoon parts.

Thank you for your input.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
I would say learn bassoon. :cheese:

But really, I'd play it on bass clarinet. Bassoon is a relatively quiet instrument and the bari is not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would love to learn bassoon, maybe when I retire. First I need to play more than 4 notes on flute. :)

I would say learn bassoon. :cheese:

But really, I'd play it on bass clarinet. Bassoon is a relatively quiet instrument and the bari is not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
Well, bassoon can be a little bit of a bear at first, but let me tell you it is so much fun to play! Once you get used to bass clef, odd high notes and using your thumbs, you'll find that it is fairly intuitive.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts