Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played a little bassoon in high school about 3 years ago, and I am looking to pick it up again. I don't have really any money to spend, but I don't want to spend as little as possible. What are some horns I should be looking at?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
I'm not a bassoonist (nor do I play one on TV) but I have a fair number of bassoonist friends, I follow eBay closely, and am very familiar with the Kohlert brand --- I've noticed quite a few reasonably-priced Kohlert bassoons on eBay --- I would speculate that the 1950s-through-early 1970s Kohlert-Winnenden, Germany models are pretty good modern designs that can be had for cheap -- this bassoon was the basis for the current Bernd Moosman instrument.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,511 Posts
I checked with a friend of mine who bought a cheap bassoon a couple of years ago. Basically after a couple times it has laid unused. It just got badly out of adjustment.

He said to try and stay with your better brand german and french bassoons - the Schreiber, Fox or Kohlerts.

So I guess eBay would be your best bet unless you can find a school selling and old one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,937 Posts
I own an old Cabart which is a Loree' intermediate brand known for quality oboes and english horns. I had to get it worked on for it to play. It plays well, responsive and in tune. I bought it off of ebay for $400.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
Just remember that French-made bassoons are probably "French" or "Buffet" system, which is a very different key system and tone quality than German "Heckel" system bassoons (which are what is used nearly everywhere but in France). So be careful when looking at French bassoons such as Cabarts --- they may not be what you want.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,937 Posts
My Cabart is the German system. I checked the key work before I bought it. I did have to make sure mine was the German system first before I bought it. I definitely wouldn't buy anything that isn't Heckel fingering based, that is the standard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts