Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_2807.JPG photo of this "maybe bass" mpc alongside my yamaha 5C baritone mpc.
the shank hole on the "maybe bass" is 20.2mm or .0796 inches
it uses a baritone reed no problems and is roughly the same length as my baritone mpc.

is this a BASS mpc does anyone know?
thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,459 Posts
Unless it is a very new mouthpiece it is unlikely that an old bass mouthpiece would also use baritone reeds.

Anyway the best way to tell is to measure the internal volume.

I have a very old riffault mouthpiece which was meant for baritone but is incredibly big and often is mistaken for a bass Mouthpiece (and indeed van be used on a bass if modified).

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless it is a very new mouthpiece it is unlikely that an old bass mouthpiece would also use baritone reeds.

Anyway the best way to tell is to measure the internal volume.

I have a very old riffault mouthpiece which was meant for baritone but is incredibly big and often is mistaken for a bass Mouthpiece (and indeed van be used on a bass if modified).
thanks.
yes,its an older buffet mpc,so likely not a bass as i first was thinking it may be as the receiver was so large.
thanks.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
the windows are about the same.
so its probably a baritone that needs a much larger thickness cork on the neck?
Likely. I recently bought a bari mouthpiece, turned out to be an older Zinner bass mouthpiece. I'll surplus it sometime to someone that needs it...or find a horn to go with it!

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
If the facing is original (and it's going to be basically impossible to tell), then it ought to be quite a bit longer for bass than baritone. Something on the order of 28 mm for bass vs 22-23 mm for baritone if memory serves (don't jump all over me if these aren't the exact numbers; I did say "if memory serves").

The large bore is a hint of it being a bass MP, but not definitive, as I have a true bass MP with smaller bore than many of my bari MPs and the one in question here is from Buffet and I recall Buffet's specs often being wonky.

I don't believe the ability to use bari reeds is definitive as I have more three or four true bass MPs and on all of them I can and do use baritone reeds with no trouble - although I often scrape the vamp back further for better response on low notes - but they fit fine.

If you want to use the MP on a bari, try it out and see what happens. Ditto if you want to use it on bass. I have used bari MPs on bass and bass MPs on bari, without dramatically bad results either way. A number of manufacturers sell essentially the same MP with a different facing for baritone and bass sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,093 Posts
thanks.
yes,its an older buffet mpc,so likely not a bass as i first was thinking it may be as the receiver was so large.
thanks.
I have an old Buffet Crampon mouthpiece that came with my bass sax. The bore is huge on it (19.8mm) whereas my baritone sax mouthpieces seem to be in the range 17.6mm to 18mm. But the Buffet Crampon mouthpiece definitely has the same body size and shape as other French mouthpieces for baritone (made by Chedeville or Lelandais and branded as Lelandais, Couesnon, Noblet).

I thought at first that someone had modified a BC bari mouthpiece to make it work on bass sax, but there are no signs of the bore having been increased and then I heard from another SOTW member who has exactly the same BC mouthpiece, also with a huge bore.

An old Buffet Crampon catalogue shows their Master Bore model mouthpieces as supplied with their Super Dynaction saxes in the 60s and 70s and it looks just the same as mine, but the catalogue only shows SATB mouthpieces and doesn't mention a model for bass sax.

My theory is that they used the same mouthpiece blank for baritone and bass but put a different facing on it and a much bigger bore for bass sax.

Does your mouthpiece have the Buffet Crampon logo on top, a metal ring on the shank and the letter F stamped beside the table ? If so it is identical to mine, which plays fine on bass or baritone (with plenty of paper to make it seal on the cork).

Rhys

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes,it has the buffet badge and metal ring and looks to be an E beside the table.photos. IMG_2814.JPG IMG_2808.JPG IMG_2813.JPG
also the facing goes a long way back 3/4 of the way down the rails and the tip measures .055
not sure if it has been refaced or worked on.
the baritone reed seals and i can play the mouthpiece,and am yet to try it on a baritone.i will try later today.
it also has the cap and lig with the BC logos on each.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,833 Posts
I have the same mouthpiece. It is a baritone mouthpiece. I think it plays pretty well on baritone, although it is not what I use. I tried it on bass sax and it was too bright and inflexible for me. I think you will find that a baritone reed fits the facing very well.
The best way to determine if a mouthpiece is for bass or baritone is to measure across the tip from corner to corner. Baritone mouthpieces will not be much wider than a baritone sax reed. Old American and French bass sax mouthpieces are considerably wider and require a wider bass sax reed from Rico or Marca.
Vandoren bass sax reeds got narrower over 10 years ago, and most new bass sax mouthpieces also have a narrower facing, side to side. I don't know why. It is often possible to use a baritone reed on them.
The backbore (the part that goes onto the cork) of bass sax mouthpieces varies widely, because bass sax necks also are much different at the corked end. Selmers are smaller. Old Bueschers are a little bigger but still smaller than most old Conns. Conn made bass necks in 2 diameters. The oldest Conn basses had a smaller neck. Later in the 1920s Conn bass necks got a lot larger in diameter. Modern Keilwerth basses have a very large neck, and the Eppelsheim bass neck is probably the largest of all in diameter at the corked end.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,093 Posts
I have the same mouthpiece. It is a baritone mouthpiece. I think it plays pretty well on baritone, although it is not what I use. I tried it on bass sax and it was too bright and inflexible for me. I think you will find that a baritone reed fits the facing very well.
What is the bore diameter on your mouthpiece and does the bore look to be original ?

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,833 Posts
What is the bore diameter on your mouthpiece and does the bore look to be original ?

Rhys
When I got the mouthpiece, the bore was almost certainly original. It was huge for a baritone, but the facing was too narrow to be a bass sax mouthpiece. The inside of the mouthpiece looked similar to a slant signature Link bari piece. I had previously experienced good luck with old links on bass sax so I enlarged the bore to fit my Eppelsheim bass (Epps. require an enormous backbore, almost 20 mm.) but I was disappointed with the result. I still have high hopes to use it as a bass mouthpiece by enlarging the chamber a little about 1/2 to 3/4 inch back from the tip.
Unfortunately, I didn't record the size of the original backbore. My best guess is around 18 mm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts