Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When doing a Bass Clary double in a show pit, do you use the peg or a neck strap? What have been the "Pit"-falls of each choice?:?

Thanks,
Saxist

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
I use a peg and a cradle stand so that I can just lay the instrument into the stand when not playing. I'm not sure of the brand, it's very old but very effective!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Stick is best.

You don't have to hitch it up each time which makes quick changeovers a doddle (and there's no risk in it getting unhitched by accident) - I use a K&M bass stand with the floorpeg sitting in the bowl bit, and this way I can tilt the bass back towards me instead of lifting the whole lot out each time I need it.

Or have the floorpeg on the floor and rest the bass against the inside of your left knee when doing quick changes between bass clar. and any other instruments you're doubling on.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Chris Peryagh said:
Stick is best.

You don't have to hitch it up each time which makes quick changeovers a doddle (and there's no risk in it getting unhitched by accident) - I use a K&M bass stand with the floorpeg sitting in the bowl bit, and this way I can tilt the bass back towards me instead of lifting the whole lot out each time I need it.
This is what I do as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log
801 Posts
I stack the horns in the stands normally, and play my Selmer extended range bass on the peg. The stand cradle is from an old Anderson patent aluminum folding stand bolted to a far more substantial base.

When presented with a quick bass to baritone switch, I hold the baritone on my lap, hook both elbows over it and play the bass "over" the baritone. Then, when it's time to swap, I just "stab" the bass down in the stand and roll the baritone up into playing position.

Then there's the bassoon problem. Currently, I'm doing two shows that both have a bass clarinet/bassoon/baritone and soprano clarinet/bassoon/baritone book. Getting the bassoon in playing order in a hurry is an ordeal, and ten times worse when you only have a two bar rest to make the switch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I've got a Jiffy stand for my bari, so I can use it on the stand all the time for pit work - tip it onto two legs and it's in playing position.

You ought to get a Dutch knee rest for your bassoon - it does away with slings and straps completely - I've heard about them for several years, but only recently seen how they work when the Royal Marines bassoonists were all using them.

http://howarth.uk.com/pic.aspx?pic=./pictures/Accs/BsnDutchKneeRest.JPG&pid=34308

1 - 9 of 9 Posts