Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the market for a new bass clarinet. I currently play on a Ridenour Lyric low Eb.

My two candidates are the Yamaha YCL-621II and the Selmer Privilège 65 Eb. The reason why I chose those 2 is because I play Yamaha for Sop and Tenor sax and Selmer for Alto and Bari sax.

I am not looking for feedback regarding the Selmer Bass Clar , I know how good it is, but I can't find much information/feedback regarding the Yamaha.

Any feedback from someone who played on the Yamaha before would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
I've tried at least a few of each model and also the low C versions. I would say the pro Yamaha models are still not at the same level of Buffet and Selmer bass clarinets.

One local pro player got an almost new Yamaha. He tried a Selmer, bought it, and now the Yamaha is a back up.

It's different with soprano clarinets, where I'd say Yamaha is as good as any company.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried at least a few of each model and also the low C versions. I would say the pro Yamaha models are still not at the same level of Buffet and Selmer bass clarinets.

One local pro player got an almost new Yamaha. He tried a Selmer, bought it, and now the Yamaha is a back up.

It's different with soprano clarinets, where I'd say Yamaha is as good as any company.
Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly the kind of really life experience i am after. Clearly the Selmer is more expensive but my gut feeling is that it is money well spent.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
I owned a Yamaha 622II for about 5 years. It was a very fine instrument. The pitch was outstanding, tone quality was very very good. I used it in many professional settings, symphony orchestras, concert bands and pit orchestras. I sold it in favor of a Low C Buffet Prestige.

I liked the Yamaha a lot....but while I had it, I always longed for the tone of a Buffet or a Selmer. If you think you're going to need the lowest three notes, get the Yamaha. If not, I'd go with the Selmer.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I owned a Yamaha 622II for about 5 years. It was a very fine instrument. The pitch was outstanding, tone quality was very very good. I used it in many professional settings, symphony orchestras, concert bands and pit orchestras. I sold it in favor of a Low C Buffet Prestige.

I liked the Yamaha a lot....but while I had it, I always longed for the tone of a Buffet or a Selmer. If you think you're going to need the lowest three notes, get the Yamaha. If not, I'd go with the Selmer.
Thanks. Good feedback. I am definitely going for a Low Eb, I don't need the extra notes and the added cost that comes with them.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
Thanks. Good feedback. I am definitely going for a Low Eb, I don't need the extra notes and the added cost that comes with them.
...and weight. It's pretty significant when playing standing with a strap or harness. I'm saying that even though I absolutely need the extra notes and use them all the time, but it sure is fun when I get to try a low Eb bass.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Both models mentioned in the OP are low Eb so doesn't sound like it's a matter of price vs. not having the extra notes.

Yup. Misread it.

If it's a 621II, it's a no brainer. Go for the Selmer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts