Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just because I had been wondering about it, I bought a three-pack of Rico bass clarinet reeds at the same time I bought another three-pack of tenor reeds - all 2 1/2. Long story short, the BC reeds work fine on the tenor but were noticeably brighter - I much preferred the regular tenor reeds. The BC reeds do have a different design to the vamp cut and they are shorter overall. Depending on your set-up and how you play and of course what brand/strength reeds you use, you may or may not find BC reeds to be of any use on tenor except perhaps in a reed emergency.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I played blue box 3 bass clarinet reeds on tenor for a while, mainly just because I typically play more bass clarinet than tenor. I found them easier to control than a regular tenor reed, but I switched back to playing tenor reeds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
back in highschool my band director would run sometimes run out of tenor or bass clarinet reed for the the students to buy so he just sold the other to them with no real negative effects, sound was more or less the same from what I remember.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I did the same thing in high school when I ran out of tenor reeds and used some spare bass clarinet reeds in the band room - I remember it working fine. Haven't experimented since then as I'm happy with my tenor reeds & set up.

On a related note - anyone ever try a Bb soprano clarinet reed on a soprano sax? I came across this video where Victor Goines describes using a clarinet reed on his soprano after a suggestion by Branford Marsalis. It's around the 5:45 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szu46JYO0kY

·
7,904 Posts
I used standard Rico orange box bass clarinet reeds on tenor for quite a while, when I had a Wanne Gaia piece.
I got a box of 25 for a whole dollar so had nothing to lose.
They were no worse than the tenor orange box reeds, but bottom end was a little more resistant.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the same thing in high school when I ran out of tenor reeds and used some spare bass clarinet reeds in the band room - I remember it working fine. Haven't experimented since then as I'm happy with my tenor reeds & set up.

On a related note - anyone ever try a Bb soprano clarinet reed on a soprano sax? I came across this video where Victor Goines describes using a clarinet reed on his soprano after a suggestion by Branford Marsalis. It's around the 5:45 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szu46JYO0kY
Depends on your mouthpiece. Some have a wider tip than others and I think the soprano reed is a little wider than the clarinet reed. My Soprano Planet Missing Link .090 for example is so wide I have to be careful to center my reed in it. I'm always looking for a wider reed or substitute reed but haven't really found anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts