Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking of trying bass clarinet reeds on my tenor sax mouthpiece. Do bass clarinet and tenor reed strengths correlate exactly? I've heard bass clar. reeds have a thicker vamp due to the width and length of the mouthpiece window. If any readers have tried bass clarinet reeds on tenor please share your experiences/thoughts.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,707 Posts
I can only speak for Legere synthetics. I'm currently using a bass clarinet number 2 on my tenor and getting much the same as the equivalent tenor number 3.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Never tried bass on a tenor, but I have played tenor reeds on my bass clarinet when I had no choice and it worked fine. Not as strong as the originals but I could make it work. Don't know if that helps but it should say something about the similarities in the reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,305 Posts
Bass clarinet reed are shorter but will work in a pinch. Strength is pretty close to tenor in the same brand/cut.
Sometimes they are too wide for the tenor mouthpiece and will cause the dreaded squeak attack.
If you have a wide piece with a short facing they may just be the ticket though...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Bandmommy. That makes sense. I was hoping I would get a couple of replies saying that using bass clar reeds on tenor is a magic bullet. I guess i'll have to pony up
a couple of sheckles and try a box and see for myself

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
354 Posts
I seem to remember that Lenny Pickett of TOP and SNL fame uses bass clarinet reeds on tenor. I've gone the other way myself many times with tenor reeds on bass clarinet.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,287 Posts
Thank you Bandmommy. That makes sense. I was hoping I would get a couple of replies saying that using bass clar reeds on tenor is a magic bullet
Ee if they did, it would be a magic bullet for them for some weird quirky reason, not that it's a magic bullet for everyone, otherwise the reed manufacturers would have wised up to the act that bass clarinet are better than tenor.
For me, the answer is no. And I have tried a lot.

Bass clarinet reeds are great! On bass clarinet.

On tenor they suck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,522 Posts
Thank you Bandmommy. That makes sense. I was hoping I would get a couple of replies saying that using bass clar reeds on tenor is a magic bullet.
Oh yeah, you NEED these! Go for it!

I am forever amused by people reinventing the wheel - or wishing they could. Bottom line: If your sound sucks, there is NO MAGIC BULLET.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm using alto sax reeds on my alto clarinet right now. They are a little bit wider, but when I use an alto clarinet reed on the clarinet mouthpiece the reed does not cover the side rail, that's why I like the alto sax reeds.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've used them for years (Fibracells). They fit on my tenor mouthpieces just fine. They are interchangeable with tenor reeds....I like them because they tend to play a bit darker.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,509 Posts
I'm using alto sax reeds on my alto clarinet right now. They are a little bit wider, but when I use an alto clarinet reed on the clarinet mouthpiece the reed does not cover the side rail, that's why I like the alto sax reeds.
There was a trend among student sax players years ago of using alto clarinet reeds on alto sax.
I happened to had a ton of alto clar reeds from a closed music store that were bought up.
I found the cut of the alto clar reed to be too thin & long for my likings on alto sax.
they played right away but got water logged quickly.

The only thing I'd say about bass clar on tenor is to make sure the cut is the way you like it.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
Just as with any piece of equipment, the results will vary from one player to the next. I have had quite a bit of success with bc reeds on tenor. I have found them to play slightly softer and a bit brighter than a comparable tenor reed. You just have to try them and find out. I have found some pretty good deals on bc reeds on ebay.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm playing Fibracell BC-Reeds on my tenor, and it sounds good. The Fibracell was the buzziest reed of all my BC-Reeds, so that's perhaps a good thing for tenor.
But magical bullet? No! It's just a matching mpc/ reed combination.
FWIW I'm playing clarinet reeds on my Selmer S80 on Soprano, and that's a sound I really like!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can only speak for Legere synthetics. I'm currently using a bass clarinet number 2 on my tenor and getting much the same as the equivalent tenor number 3.
Wait, are you saying that a Legere 2 bass clarinet reed is as hard as a Legere 3 tenor sax reed?

I play both tenor sax and bass clarinet, and I expect a strength 3 reed to be the same on either horn. (I often play V16 tenor reeds on bass clarinet. I find them too "buzzy" on tenor, but nice and "woody" on bass clarinet. Vandoren doesn't sell V16 reeds for bass clarinet.)

But the reason I ask is I spent more $ than I want to admit on several Legere 3 bass clarinet reeds, and they are all too hard for me. If what you say is correct, I should have bought either bass clarinet 2s or tenor 3s instead.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
I seem to remember that Lenny Pickett of TOP and SNL fame uses bass clarinet reeds on tenor.
(Lenny Pickett uses baritone sax reeds on his tenor.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,070 Posts
I used them for quite a while after I got a box of 25 for a few cents.
I quite liked them on my Gaia.
From memory I thought they played a little brighter for me than the tenor orange box equivalent.
I also seem to remember that they felt a tad stiffer than tenor reeds of the same size.
I wouldn’t go out of my way to get them again, but they certainly were workable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts