Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have messed with this for little bit lately. I find they work well. They are a tiny bit shorter and play a tad brighter but I picked up a cheap box of La voz and they play great.

Anyone else here doing this? Pros cons?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I'm curious too. Did you buy the same strength bass clarinet reeds as you would have tenor?

My sax tech does this too. He also leaves his reeds soaking all the time.

I remember Ralph Morgan dismissing the V16 reeds as being simply bass clarinet reeds. But I can't remember what beyond being a b.c. reed was bad.

·
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Ben , I bought Med hard Lavoz same as my tenor reed. I would say they are tad brighter . Maybe due to them being shorter than a tenor reed but the width seems identical.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,567 Posts
I was accidentally sent a box of Rigotti BC reeds and Musician's friend told me to keep it and they would just send me out a box of tenors to replace it. I still have a few. They are the same length and width as the tenors, and aren't that different. I usually keep 4-5 reeds in a rotation, and I can't tell the difference really...I even started marking them on the back with a C or a T to see if either one held up longer. No real difference there either.

·
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting the Lavoz I have are older BC and they are significantly shorter than a new model Lavoz tenor. The cane of these older BC reeds is great .

·
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just did a search on this here and there has been several posts like mine. the concensus is they will work and YMMV !
For a brighter sound I am going to use the BC reeds . Thats about the only difference I can tell so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts