·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,524 Posts
Bass clarinets are great fun.

Be aware of your vibrato - seems a lil’ fast, and maybe out of control on your longer tones.

Enjoy the new horn! I often think of getting a bass clarinet for myself. (Then I recall all the other competing instruments that aren’t getting attention.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,074 Posts
I’ve always loved the idea of a bass clarinet and thought about getting one, but I find myself struggling to find time to play anything lately.
Congratulations, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bass clarinets are great fun.

Be aware of your vibrato - seems a lil’ fast, and maybe out of control on your longer tones.

Enjoy the new horn! I often think of getting a bass clarinet for myself. (Then I recall all the other competing instruments that aren’t getting attention.)
Thanks, it was an old dream at my teen age.

I know, I have to be aware of a lot of things, don't even remember all the positions of the notes and I have to increase the speed of the air flow but, after only an hour, I'm satisfied :)

Ciao.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve always loved the idea of a bass clarinet and thought about getting one, but I find myself struggling to find time to play anything lately.
Congratulations, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.
Thanks, I had an opportunity and I jumped at it.

I'm playing too little, but I'll try to find the time for the clarinet.

Ciao

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,182 Posts
I bought a Bundy for $166 on eBay. No case and a touch weathered. Was supposed to be a parts horn but it plays great and is a lot of fun. Enjoy

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I bought one from a musical instrument repair shop that was going out of business in 1977 for $ 20.00. It was a MAJOR fixer-upper. I did most of the fix up myself last year...had a repair shop do the final tweaking and it came out looking good and playing pretty good. I have some intonation issues in the upper register...it tends to play sharp but the low register is pretty well in tune and really resonates. It came with a very old MeYeR 'Tru-Flex' type mouthpiece. I have been playing it in our local Community Band when our normal Bass Clarinetist has to miss rehearsal. I have enjoyed playing it. The brand name is: 'M. Lacroix' - Paris.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bass clarinet is my first true love. Currently trying to get some level of chops back after 38+ years of not playing. And teaching myself to improvise at the same time. A few recent samples:

https://soundcloud.com/bill-holder-942023694%2Fgm-transposed-gretsch-rancher-vs-bass-clarinet (me on guitars also)
https://soundcloud.com/bill-holder-942023694%2Fyou-aint-the-bossa-me (with contrabass!)
https://soundcloud.com/bill-holder-942023694%2Fgm-st-james-bass-clarinet-practice (me on guitars also)

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And yeah, ok, this forum needs to enable the "like" button functionality. ;) Lovin' those bass clarinet blues, there, @guidocreo!
Thanks.

Ciao

1 - 10 of 10 Posts