Sax on the Web Forum banner

Bass Clarinet Mouthpiece suggestions

5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  JohnMarkPainter 
#1 ·
I am purchasing a bass clarinet. I have not played in 34 years and have no idea where to begin with mouthpieces.

I am still playing clarinet.

Will be used primarily for jazz and lo-fi jazz so I want a big fat sound.

Currently can easily play .110-.115 tenor sax mouthpiece,

Budget is $50-100

#3 ·
I honestly wouldn't hesitate to start someone out on the vandoren B50. To me, it's the best production mouthpiece for the money.

I think it has a lot of power and a much fuller, more controlled upper register than most of what's on the market. I spent a couple of years on one and if I needed to play any gig on that mouthpiece tonight, I would.

I have since moved on to much more open mouthpieces, but I wouldn't recommend going that extreme until you've had time to get acclimated to the different embouchure and voicing. It's not really about more power after a point. Mike Lowenstern is probably much louder than me and he plays a B50.

#11 ·
That's what I'm playing now, and I love it - easier and better sounding than that ratty old plastic Bundy I started on!

#6 ·
I haven't regularly played bass clarinet in a few years, but about 12 years ago I was in roughly the same situation as yours, with approximately the same budget.

Based on a friend's advice, I wound up checking out and buying a George M. Bundy Signature mouthpiece (#4).

Don't let the lowly "Bundy" name fool you, it's a great mouthpiece: it's reasonably open (about 0.074", which is around the same as a B45 Bass) with plenty of power; it's well made (of hard rubber, not plastic); and it's well within your price range (about $70 new).

#7 ·
If you're just starting bass, I think B50 is about as far as you want to go, openness-wise, and keep in mind an open mouthpiece isn't needed to create lots of volume. Good air support and an appropriate reed/mouthpiece combination will do it. I'm mostly a symphonic bass player, I play on a relatively closed Fobes San Francisco (1.70) mouthpiece and a medium-strength reed, and I have no trouble putting out as much sound as is ever required.
Open mouthpieces don't act the same on bass clarinet as on tenor sax. An extremely open mouthpiece on bass can create all sorts of response/control issues.
The shortest path to a "big fat sound" is a soft reed, which will work best in the lower register, which I'm guessing you'll be utilizing the most for the time being. Whatever mouthpiece you buy, slap on a 1 1/2-2 strength reed, and you're ready for the show!

#8 ·
I play on a relatively closed Fobes San Francisco (1.70) mouthpiece and a medium-strength reed, and I have no trouble putting out as much sound as is ever required.
I use a Fobes SF on my Sop Clarinet and it is by far the best mouthpiece I have tried. I would like to try one on the BC but I don't play the BC often enough right now to justify
the purchase.

I think the OP might want to also consider a Fobes Debut.

#9 ·
While you're on this topic, what do you think about a simple basic Yamaha 4C. I know they have that reputation, especially because they're cheap, but are they awful as well? The mpc coming with my recently purchase Bass Clarinet is one of them and if I can get away with using it for until I learn how to play, I'd like to. I would like to avoid having to spend more cash for a different mpc if I can. Will the 4C hold me back in any way or will it be okay for getting started on?

#12 ·
at or in a retail setting your budget might be too low for something really good. having said that check out eBay every now and then for either a Selmer C* or D. It's not so much about the tip openings with these pieces as it's about the shape of the beak, roof and chamber of these classic mouthpieces. A lot of mods can be done as well as keeping it stock as possible and perfecting certain aspects of the design. Vandorens play differently but are very fine mouthpieces, too.

I am purchasing a bass clarinet. I have not played in 34 years and have no idea where to begin with mouthpieces.

I am still playing clarinet.

Will be used primarily for jazz and lo-fi jazz so I want a big fat sound.

Currently can easily play .110-.115 tenor sax mouthpiece,

Budget is $50-100

#13 ·
Good thread!

I have a standard B45 and it feels like I am trying to blow up a basketball with my mouth :)

I don't care about playing volume. I only use it for recording.
Assuming I have plenty of air to spare, would the B50 offer less resistance?
I mostly use VanDoren 2 reeds but also have a box of LaVoz Medium

I have trouble playing upper Clarion range....not sure if it just me or not.
I can arpeggio/scale up to the top of clarion range but can't start a new note there.

My soprano clarinet mpc is a 5RV and my saxes are 6*/7*

#14 ·
I think the B50 is great (and not too resistant), but if you're having trouble with resistance on bass clarinet, especially in the clarion register, it's almost certainly a leak issue. Upper clarion and altissimo should be much easier to play (if somewhat harder to control) than on soprano clarinet.

One strange thing about the B50 when you look at it is that the tip rail is very thick, especially by saxophone standards. But I find that this thickness makes it easier to control and avoid squeaks in the clarion register.

Also, if (after checking for leaks) you want to reduce resistance and improve response in the upper clarion, I've found that Legere signature tenor sax reeds(2.5) work very well on the B50.

#16 ·
20 years? You don't need a mouthpiece, you need a tune up!

It's going to be like a new instrument. I can't imagine going even a year without a little bit of adjustment. Overhauls are few and far between, but I'll inevitably have knocked my bass clarinet out of adjustment since the last time I brought it in. Then I realize all the things I'd started unconsciously doing and playing gets noticeably easier.

#17 ·
Yeah...It doesn't get played often enough. Often just a cartoon gag for me which is sad.
I just messaged a local repair tech to see if I can do a curbside.

It play low fine which is what I generally use it for...but I caught myself shopping for a cheap Alto Clarinet :)
Maybe I should just be able to play higher on the Bass!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.