Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everybody, i'm quite new around here.
Normally i play my low c bass clarinet sited on a chair, but i want to play it standing up like the saxophone. What do you think it´s best option...a big spike...maybe with another neck (tenor like)...other options? Or it just can´t be done? I guess not...I know, it´s a bit silly my question...but...i had to start with something and that´s something i´ve been thinking, anyway.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log
801 Posts
You can also use a stool or chair to support the peg in the normal position while you stand behind it.

I have an arrangement of Sentimental Journey that is basically bass clarinet with rhythm and a vocalist, and rather than bother with using the peg, I just play it off my thumb. But, not everyone is up to thiat approach...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Learn to play it using a neckstrap. That's what the little rings on the back of the upper and/or lower joints are for.

·
2,767 Posts
I definitely can't hold the bass clarinet just on the thumb. If I have to stand with a bass clarinet (which I avoid as much as possible), I find a chair that's about the right height and put the peg onto that. Then it's easy. If the chair is too tall, standing is not an option. I'm short, and only need the a few inches of peg to bring a Low C bass to the right height, so I don't have a lot of leeway here.

For me, a neckstrap is fine with an Eb horn, but for a Low C instrument, it's just too much to comfortably carry.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
If you look a little down in the clarinet forum (right here where your thread is) you can see a thread about standing with bass clarinet. Basically you have several options. Here is everything I recently found on this subject.

You can hold it on the thumb like Terry said he does. Most (almost all?) don't like this and it depends on how long you have to play.

You put the regular peg (or bell) on a chair or something similar.

IMO a better but similar option to the chair is a long peg. I have one and it cost me nothing so I guess it is not expensive anyway. It is best (strongest) to make most of it slightly wider than the normal size and just the top turn to the correct diameter. This will stop it from slipping and help with wobble (best if the connection between the diameters is gradual). If you want I can take a photo of my long peg to show what I mean.

The problem I have with the long peg is it is too restrictive (but I need to cue a lot to people all around the stage/room and sometimes move with dancers).

Then you have the option of straps/harnesses.

A regular strap is comfortable as far as the position of the instrument, but for me (with a low C bass and a car accident that caused back problems) it is too heavy. Another problem is playing throat G to low C (or other right thumb note). You don't have a way for contra to play this. I've tried to play with the instrument in front or to the side and both had the problems.

A normal harness (that goes on your shoulders) will help a lot with the weight on your neck, but it will put (for me at least) the instrument much too close to your body. This will make the right thumb notes especially uncomfortable, and for me the entire position of the right hand (touching my body pretty much) very uncomfortable.

There are other types of harnesses/straps. Some attach to your belt from behind and goes on your shoulders. This will also help with the weight. I don't know how much of a wedgie this will cause. I was told by someone who is using this that you feel it against your butt but it is not too bad at all. Since I don't always wear a belt and I never put my shirt inside my pants, so I don't know how this harness would work for me.

You can also try double hook straps, two seperate straps, or harness and strap (if you have two rings on the instrument).

Another option is what a few (I only know of two but there are probably more) bass clarinetist use. It is a stick (metal tube or rod) that is connected to the thumbrest area and keeps the instrument back from your body. Bass clarinetist Henri Bok has one which to me looks and feels especially uncomfortable. After considering every option I'm probably going to have one made and I'll combine this with a harness.

Hopefully this will help you.

Nitai

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all this feedback at my silly subject:) I´ll start to try all this options and find what works better for me.

thanks

·
2,767 Posts
If you want to make sure you're the coolest guy around, you could do something like this, but with a bass clarinet instead of a basset horn:

That looks very uncomfortable, although I have to admit, I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow... now i can´t decide what looks more awkward, that belly device or the giant spike i was thinking about:) But, if it works, it looks like a good option anyway. Or maybe i just have to buy a low Eb one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's a nice skill to have to be able to stand and play with just the neckstrap. However, you may not be able to do it...I mean to say, your hands may not like it. Who knows, if you can stand and play with the neckstrap maybe after a while you can go "strapless".

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
Since my last post in this thread I stopped using my long peg anbd changed to a neck strap because the peg was just too restrictive when giving cues, and just in general. The neck strap is heavy, so I just don't play VERY long. I'm working on getting something similar (but simpler) to what dirty posted and then use a harness to help with weight so I can play the problematic intervals of open G to/from low thumb notes (D, Db, C) that there is with the neck strap.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
I am about to put up my Low Eb selmer bass, R989 just overhauled. Drop me a line if you're interested. It is great for standing and playing and also works well with a peg. I am only selling it because I am buying a low C Bass. Buffet Prestige or Selmer Privelege, the jury is still out because I am awaiting to test the drive the Selmer which hasn't arrived in the country yet. The model 37's I have played are nice but I found that the new Buffet Prestige sweeter and more flexible.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a buffet prestige low C bass, and if i have to play standing, i usually just set it on whatever is aviable, like a chair, and play from there without problems. however if you have to move around, some sort of harness combination would probably work best, unless you use a wheeled chair =]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts