Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently restored a Vito bass clarinet. Got it cheap as it needed overhauling. It came without a case. New cases cost a lot so I'm looking around to see if there's anything I can adapt/ make a case from. It's a one piece so that makes things a bit harder.
Does anyone know of anything I can use? I've looked at gun cases but they tend to be not deep enough. Perhaps some are deeper?

·
Registered
151 Posts
No, but following this thread as I'm in a similar situation (case is falling apart). I couldn't find a deep enough gun case, and couldn't find a flight case the right size either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,440 Posts
OOOPS now I notice it is for one piece clarinet

My suggestion was for a two pieces

I have made a case for a Bass clarinet to low Eb by buying a used middle size suitcase ( the type without wheels which most used up until the suitcases with wheels appeared on the market and that are now discarded by most) by Samsonite ( of around 67 cm the longest side inn the picture a similar one which I found on line to explain) biught at a charity shop for very little money.

I glued with vinyl wood glue ( they exist also in self adhesive variant) some foam for sound isolation bought at a DIY center ( the same stuff is sold for campers to take with them as mattress).

I didn’t do any partitioning because the foam held the clarinet pretti much in the right places even when transporting but it is possible if needed to reverse a few strips of that material into an interlocking partitioning ( you need to glue it I suppose)

·
41,440 Posts
Sorry now I notice my mistake.

Tripod cases for photography or film ( or teodolite stands
) could be used, same thing with spear gun hard cases and fishing rods

Reactions: Gandalfe

·
41,440 Posts
Golf club case also a good idea

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have a low eb single-piece case clarinet case to give away for free, that came with my chinese bass. I can take a picture later - but this one's in germany for local pickup only.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,191 Posts
I've recently restored a Vito bass clarinet. Got it cheap as it needed overhauling. It came without a case. New cases cost a lot so I'm looking around to see if there's anything I can adapt/ make a case from. It's a one piece so that makes things a bit harder.
Does anyone know of anything I can use? I've looked at gun cases but they tend to be not deep enough. Perhaps some are deeper?
I have an unused Protec 1-piece bass clarinet case. I would let it go for a rather friendly price. I just don’t know for what cost it would travel to the UK. I’m in Switzerland. Let me check.

This guy :

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,236 Posts
That Protec seems pretty widely available and for $150, I don't think you're going to do much better. The golf club case looks kind of cool, but seems to cost as much as the bass clarinet case and that's before you've bought the foam. Likewise, a decent Pelican case or similar isn't going to cost much less. Even if you saved $50 on materials, which I doubt you will, it isn't really any savings at all if you value your time and take into account that your first iteration of the case is probably going to result in bent keys and leaks that need to be fixed.

I wouldn't overthink it. The Protec looks good to me and I trust them with three of my horns.

·
3,191 Posts
I confirm, the Protec is really handy, considering the intrinsic clumsy dimensions of the Vito. Just checked Swiss postal services. CHF 34, more or less 30 £ to have it sent to the UK.
I could consider a deal @ 100£ all included. You might have import taxes on top, Switzerland being outside EU.

·
41,440 Posts
That Protec seems pretty widely available and for $150, I don't think you're going to do much better. The golf club case looks kind of cool, but seems to cost as much as the bass clarinet case and that's before you've bought the foam. Likewise, a decent Pelican case or similar isn't going to cost much less. Even if you saved $50 on materials, which I doubt you will, it isn't really any savings at all if you value your time and take into account that your first iteration of the case is probably going to result in bent keys and leaks that need to be fixed.

I wouldn't overthink it. The Protec looks good to me and I trust them with three of my horns.
Well, you can pick things like these up at charity shops for little, the last time I saw one it was €25 and not having any project going I didn’t buy it, new they may be expensive although alibaba has some for €50

this one (very far from me !) is FREE, plenty of such things around if you are not in a hurry.

·
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, you can pick things like these up at charity shops for little, the last time I saw one it was €25 and not having any project going I didn’t buy it, new they may be expensive although alibaba has some for €50

this one (very far from me !) is FREE, plenty of such things around if you are not in a hurry.
What is it? I might be able to find one if I knew what to search for.
I don't recall seeing one of those in a charity shop here. They are all shut just now - we're in lockdown!

My issue with the Protec is it's got zips, which tend to fail. The Thomann one is cheaper than I can buy from my trade supplier, so I might take the plunge. But I've got time on my hands to make or adapt something if I could find a suitable case.

·
41,440 Posts
It’s a golf clubs or fishing rods abs case (or anything you want it to be) they are sold for many applications and when new are rather expensive, second hand , well as I said, some people give them away because if you no longer use it stands in the way.

I frequent charity shops and , although there is no guarantee you will ever find one they are out there, I would recommend also to check sencondhand sites fishing rod case golf club case...

you can buy stuff like this cheap on alibaba

may take a while before you get it nowadays

·
3,191 Posts
I’m not gonna oversell the Protec case, but should they have a failure reputation, we wouldn’t see so many BAs and Mk6s shlepped around in them. Considering their price tag, they are more than fairly made and handy.

Reactions: dirty

·
41,440 Posts
I think that Oric is looking to save money, of course buying a specialized case is a good idea, Protec is great and relatively inexpensive

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,868 Posts
you can buy stuff like this cheap on alibaba

may take a while before you get it nowadays
"It" is cheap because "it" is "them". MOQ is 1000. A large shipping container full of the things.

·
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I confirm, the Protec is really handy, considering the intrinsic clumsy dimensions of the Vito. Just checked Swiss postal services. CHF 34, more or less 30 £ to have it sent to the UK.
I could consider a deal @ 100£ all included. You might have import taxes on top, Switzerland being outside EU.
I don't think I replied to this properly.
Thanks for the offer. Yes, I would incur tax costs so I think the Thomann is probably going to be the best option.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts