Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Conn 480N bass clarinet (w/o low Eb key). It is in its original case, which has a sturdy exterior, although one clasp is broken and the instrument seems to move around slightly inside.

I would like to buy a new bass clarinet case that is strong enough to fly with, and that fits a 2-piece bass clarinet w/o low Eb key. I haven't had much luck finding one. I can't really afford one of those custom Wiseman cases.

In unrelated news, I'm selling a K&M bass clarinet stand. Not sure where to post to see if anyone is interested in purchasing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Buy a BAM case and wad up a black sock in the space where the end of the lower joint should rest. No one makes a off-the-rack case for a low E bass, as far as I know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd rather not drop $450. If I did that, I might as well have Mike Manning custom build a fiberglass case. Is there no cheaper option?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,033 Posts
Check Ebay for used cases.

Also check your PM's. I contacted you about the stand.

·
Registered
601 Posts
If the old case shell is solid (and those old cases are generally bulletproof), I'd just get the latches fixed, get a black towel (or whatever color matches the lining of your case), and press it into the cutouts for the instrument. My Selmer Series 9 low C didn't fit at all well in the Selmer USA case it came with, and a tech recommended the towel option as opposed to dropping big bucks on a BAM. So far, so good; I haven't yet flown with it, but it does get hauled around quite a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts