Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my low c bass last year, long story. Wasn’t planning on getting another but I need a good low Eb horn later this year for a month of well paying theatre when a show comes through here on tour.

Currently considering getting a new Jupiter, a used Vito with a Bay neck on it or an older wooden horn- Selmer (CT, Series 9 vintage) or a Buffet around the 19xxx-20xxx mark.
Has anyone here owned played any selmers or buffets of this vintage?
Any and all thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have played some Selmers of the series 9 vintage. Intonation was not quite as good as current horns, but certainly workable. Those I have played have a really lovely tone, very woody and resonant.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,817 Posts
I have had a 9 and it was very nice horn

·
Registered
601 Posts
I borrowed a Jupiter for a concert band set several years ago-nice horn! I owned and played a Vito with a re-bent neck (not Bay) professionally for a couple of years. Pretty good, but I preferred the tone and response of the '60's-era Bundy I was previously borrowing from the school I taught at. I played a Selmer CT when I was in college. Maybe it was just pick of the litter, but it was a fantastic horn, with the usual issue of the B and C above the break being sharp. I own a 1971 Selmer low C (aka "Series 9"), which I think is acoustically (if not literally) the same as a CT. Great tone and response, same pitch anomalies. I've played old Buffets, which for me were stuffy and sharp, not to say there aren't some fine ones out there.

·
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very helpful, thanks!
Looks like I have the pick of the 4, the series 9, the CT and the 2 plastics.
Leaning towards the series 9 for now. The CT doesn’t have a peg mount

·
Registered
601 Posts
Any tech can mount a peg of the CT. If it's significantly cheaper and just as good as the Series 9, it's an option.
Very helpful, thanks!
Looks like I have the pick of the 4, the series 9, the CT and the 2 plastics.
Leaning towards the series 9 for now. The CT doesn’t have a peg mount

·
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any tech can mount a peg of the CT. If it's significantly cheaper and just as good as the Series 9, it's an option.
They’re going to end up the same price. CT is ready to go, the 9 needs overhaul and is priced accordingly.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
Even though I prefer newer Buffet slightly more than Selmers (a close second), of the ones you mentioned, I'd rate them in this order (from best to worst):
Selmer, Buffet, Jupiter, Vito.

The Vito is by far at the bottom. The Jupiter is a significant step up. Those old Buffets and Selmers have a double register mechanism which is nice. You definitely can feel they are "pro" models in comparison, although models from that long ago have issues compared with new ones (specifically evenness or tone and response). In some ways the Jupiter might be better in a few areas but not overall.

I wouldn't get the Vito unless you can't afford the others, but since you mentioned them, I assume you can.

Beyond that it's all individual preference. Some prefer the tone/response/feel of the old buffets, some prefer the Selmers, you might think the Jupiter is more comfortable, etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
I am an occasional player only, as a baritone sax in a big band, and I play a Yamaha 221-II. It is an intermediate level horn, but ways better than the Vito I had before. More projection, a clearer mid Bb, and also a 2 pieces body, so more convenient to schlep around. I’m clearly no expert, but i’d definitely avoid the Vito, which is no more than a school-band work tool.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I almost won a Selmer 67 on ebay last week, didn't jump in time, but I msg'ed the seller and said "if you ever have another" - he counter-offered me a Buffet Crampon 1183R at an unbelievable price, so now I'm a Buffet Crampon kinda guy! (And very VERY happy!) :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
I almost won a Selmer 67 on ebay a few weeks back, didn't jump in time, but I msg'ed the seller and said "if you ever have another" - he counter-offered me a Buffet Crampon 1183R at an unbelievable price, so now I'm a Buffet Crampon kinda guy! (And very VERY happy!) :D

·
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The hunt is still on....I decided not to buy an older wooden horn without seeing it first.....
Interestingly, I remember a very good doubler telling me years ago that the best bass he’d ever played was a Vito- overhauled by Charles Bay with toneholes undercut, Bay angled neck added and other mods that no one usually does to a plastic low Eb.....

·
Registered
601 Posts
A wise decision. Re: the doubler's observation: There's no reason a plastic bass couldn't be hot-rodded to compete with a pro horn. The material isn't that important. It's a matter of how much a player wants to invest. Charlie Bay's work probably cost as much as the original purchase price, if not more.
The hunt is still on....I decided not to buy an older wooden horn without seeing it first.....
Interestingly, I remember a very good doubler telling me years ago that the best bass he’d ever played was a Vito- overhauled by Charles Bay with toneholes undercut, Bay angled neck added and other mods that no one usually does to a plastic low Eb.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts