Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm kind of new to mouthpieces so i was wondering if you guys could help with some questions

what does babbit mean
and what is Baffle?

how does chamber size affect sound? What about tip opening?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Saxnoobie: in MY opinion, all of the discussions about what one thing or another does to mouthpiece sound (baffles, chamber size, etc.) is trumped by one's own embouchure and playing style. No one mouthpiece fits all.

The ONLY thing that I find consistently pleasing in mouthpieces is the tip-opening. I prefer bigger tip-openings and if a tested mouthpiece doesn't have an open tip, I ain't gonna like it . . . period.

The chamber size, the baffle design, the length of the table, etc., is all mildly interesting to me and those features are not going to make any difference to me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Advisor A will tell you to always use a large-chamber mouthpiece on a vintage horn. Advisor B will tell you he uses only small chamber pieces on his '24 TT alto (that would be me). Advisor C will offer another aspect of mouthpiece design. Read it all, but make your own decisions. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
While I agree that practice and different reeds and "tonal concepts" etc can change your sound with one piece, I would add that Baffles for one certainly do make a difference to the sound.

If you don't believe it take your current mouthpiece and use Plasticine or bluetack or even play-dough to add a crude baffle to it and see how it changes the sound.

Really though once you find something that is in the tonal ballpark and that you are comfortable playing (Im another who favours a larger tip size) the real solution to most equipment questions is practice practice practice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts