Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading about a "Barrett 5 stock mouthpiece" in a Hank Crawford interview - I am unfamiliar with this brand - any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Was that the interview in "Saxophone Journal" magazine a number of years ago? Being a fan of Hank Crawford I always wondered about the mouthpiece, I thought it might be a spelling mistake and it should be Babbitt perhaps?

Greg S.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,006 Posts

Further down the same interview Hank is quoted as saying: "There’s a lot of other horns, Bushes, Conns, all of them, but the Selmer is it for me." I guess the person transcribing the interview (at the time or from an audio recording) didn't recognise "Buescher" and may well have misinterpreted whatever Hank said about mouthpieces too. As well as Babbitt, it could perhaps have been Brilhart or Buffet or ????

Rhys

·
Registered
104 Posts
According to the "Saxophone Journal" magazine (Volume 33 Number 3 Jan/Feb 2003) interview with Hank Crawford conducted by Tom Erdmann Hank Crawford's Equipment List is stated as Selmer Super Action 80 alto with a custom made mouthpiece by Barrett and LaVoz medium reeds. The accompanying photograph with the article shows Hank with a Selmer Super Action 80 Series II...googling Barrett saxophone mouthpiece does not bring up any additional information - maybe Barrett was small boutique manufacturer from yesteryear perhaps?

Greg S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts