Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I'm not super knowledgeable, so I can't give a detailed review, but I'd like to say that I am VERY happy with my new saxophone.

I'd been playing a Jupiter JTS-789 intermediate level saxophone for the last 5 years in school bands and music lessons and was ready for a step up. I did tons of research and was almost convinced by a salesman that came to my school to buy a Temby Custom sax, until I found out it was $4,000. The salesman insisted that to get a sax that sounds that great, you have to pay that much. I now know he was wrong.

I asked on SOTW about brand recommendations, and said that I didn't want to buy a typical shiny gold sax like 99% of saxes out there, but one with character, like an old sax. I ended up deciding on a Barone vintage tenor in antique bronze finish, after days of research and reading reviews. I ordered my new sax, and after a long wait, it arrived.

When my new sax arrived it was so worth the wait. It is absolutely stunning, unlike any sax I've ever seen before. The finish is flawless, and the turquoise mother of pearl on the keys is beautiful. The engraving is just gorgeous. Overall it's a real eye-catcher.
I'm also very pleased with the case it came in, the quality is very good and it holds everything well, so nothing is loose that can scratch the sax. There is a little compartment under the sax for the neckstrap, mouthpiece, reeds, etc.

I took it out of the case and played some scales, then a few songs. The sound was amazing. Better than the Temby I reckon. First thing I realised is how loud it is, and how thick the sound is on the higher notes. On my Jupiter, the high notes sounded really weak and thin, and I couln't fix it, but on this sax the sound is full across the whole range. I didn't have long to play it that night as we were going out.

When I first took it to band everyone's jaw dropped. They all really loved the look of it, and my conductor also really loved the sound. I don't get told to play louder anymore, but hand signals to keep the volume down a little. If I play strong, it can be heard over the whole big band, and those guys are loud! It'll be great once I get up the confidence to play solos because the sound is both loud, but smooth and sweet, it's the perfect solo instrument.

My sax teacher was strongly suggesting not to buy this sax, as Barone is 'an unknown brand and it's probably no good'... I've since proved her wrong.

I have felt that since recieving this instrument my playing has improved dramatically. I'm only 17 so I'm glad that I'm not going to need another upgrade anytime soon (if ever!) I'd recommend it to anybody.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
This is all great news!

Glad you love your new saxophone! I bet you are now the envy of the other saxophone players in band! :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
You have a tenor that will last a lifetime. No need to wonder if there is anything else that will better suit you. Just think of all the money that you saved by not going through the trial and error routine like I did.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
I've had my PB Classic tenor for some months now. Great instrument. Beware of anyone's advice based on no real knowledge.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,196 Posts
I played a Barone Classic in Silver Lacquer for a few months and it was a fine horn with that vintage American sound perfect for jazz. B

·
Registered
469 Posts
You know what you need to do now? Find that salesman and outblow the Temby. ;)

Just kidding. I've seen the tenor on the Barone website, and it really is a beautiful horn. Enjoy it, it should last you a long time.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Good for you. Play your heart out on that axe and don't look back!

·
Registered
955 Posts
My sax teacher was strongly suggesting not to buy this sax, as Barone is 'an unknown brand and it's probably no good'... I've since proved her wrong.
Apparently your sax teacher needs to spend more time on SOTW, to get "in the know" on what's going on with everything saxophone!!:)
Congrats on your purchase.. there's nothing better than falling in love with your new horn. I've got a curved soprano in that finish on the way from Phil... can't wait till it gets here!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, and yes, it is the envy of all the band members!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparently your sax teacher needs to spend more time on SOTW, to get "in the know" on what's going on with everything saxophone!!:)
Congrats on your purchase.. there's nothing better than falling in love with your new horn. I've got a curved soprano in that finish on the way from Phil... can't wait till it gets here!!
She has something against the internet I think. Everytime I tell her something I learnt, she says, "I suppose you read THAT on the internet too? Don't believe everything you read." So I think that's why she didn't trust the brand.

I also plan on selling my straight Jupiter soprano and getting a curved Barone in matching finish to replace it. Let us know how yours goes. :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
She has something against the internet I think. Everytime I tell her something I learnt, she says, "I suppose you read THAT on the internet too? Don't believe everything you read." So I think that's why she didn't trust the brand.
In fairness to the teacher, she may have not have in-depth expertise on every instrument type in the band. To expect her or any band teacher who is not primarily a saxophonist to know about SOTW is not reasonable IMO. I would also add that there are a LOT of crappy horns being sold on the internet/ebay. Autopilot advice to stick to a Selmer or Yamaha would at least ensure that a student wouldn't end up with a complete piece of junk. That said, I'm glad I found this site and the gear that comes recommended by several SOTW posters.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's true, for all she knew it was a shocking brand. I did assure her that I had done LOTS of research before buying, but she still wasn't happy. A friend of mine who had just come out of junior concert band was also looking for a tenor sax at the same time as me, and I recommended the Barone on what I'd read. He fell in love with the silver one, but the same teacher convinced him not to buy it, and he ended up buying a Yamaha. I played his, and I'm no expert, but the Barone sounded much nicer.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
That type of bias is somehwat prevalent, but when you have had enough experience on a variety of horns you can rely on your own opinion .

Anyways Anna there are a lot of us Barone owners Down Under, welcome to the club. It helps when our dollar is trading at USD $1.05 so that puts us in positive territory for the first time in 30 years or so. Makes them even a better deal than they already are, by about 5 % !

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
And you will bne gettting it soon, sooner than you dink. Phil

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe the teacher won't be so hesitant about having the NEXT sax player buy a Barone, now that she's seen how great mine is. I hope so, they're amazing horns Phil. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very interested in a getting a Classic alto in Antique Bronze. Annna, is there a lacquer or satin finish on your horn? Just trying to figure out what kind of upkeep is involved. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Thanks Phil! I'm always looking for loopholes in the Sotw censorship system!

Looks like the Baroner is taking over down under!

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
Looks like the Baroner is taking over down under!
That's true. Not only are the horns great to play, but the high Australian dollar against the US peso makes them even more attractive. I was hoping my Vintage alto would arrive before Easter to complement my Classic tenor. Now, those curved sopranos are looking very enticing!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts