Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to post this on the thread about the Barone New Super New York mouthpiece that Phil had posted about but it looks like it got out of control and was closed.

Anyways, Phil was nice enough to send me the first SNY to try myself as I had a bunch of questions about it. (Playing the piece itself answers all the questions much better than a bunch of forum posts that is for sure).

I tried it this morning with a used Java 2 1/2 and the reed was way too soft. I then tried a used Java 3 and it was a bit tubby sounding.(I'm out of new reeds right now). I was a bit bummed but then I put a used Woodstone 2 1/2 on it that was great. I played it for about 3 hours this morning and loved it.

My impression of it was that it is darker than the New York and Hollywood models I have tried. It's more in the neighborhood of the Jazz model but it has more kick and power than the jazz model had for me. You know I like a piece when I play it for a couple of hours non-stop. There was no fighting with it. It just played like I wanted it to. I love that when I have that kind of connection with a mouthpiece. For me it played almost like a Dexter or Eric Alexander kind of tone. Not quite that as it is still me but in reminded me of that kind of sound.

I hope to have a review and sound clip in the next few days to put up. I was hoping this was a production model so I could buy it but Phil sent me the first one made so I will have to wait like everyone else to get mine.................

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Steve - Is this anywhere in the realm of tone and response of the J7?

If so, that is something that would draw my attention. It sounds great so far - I appreciate you setting it in the context of the other Barone pieces (a common language that we share).

·
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve - Is this anywhere in the realm of tone and response of the J7?

If so, that is something that would draw my attention. It sounds great so far - I appreciate you setting it in the context of the other Barone pieces (a common language that we share).
The J7 is a bit brighter for me up top. The SNY gets just as loud but not as bright up there which I really like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
The J7 is a bit brighter for me up top. The SNY gets just as loud but not as bright up there which I really like.
That might work for me as I tend to play to the brighter side of a given piece.

Thanks!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
Does anyone know the price off hand? I'm curious, interested, probably shouldn't, but probably will at some point...Is it safe to assume $575, as this is the high end of the pricing now?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
That might work for me as I tend to play to the brighter side of a given piece.

Thanks!
Geo from my conversations with Phil I do think it could really work for you (and me! but I'm waiting for one right now!)

·
Registered
365 Posts
definitely looking forward to trying out phil's newest offering when i get the chance. i picked up an ebony NY piece not too long ago and it absolutely smokes! now to get it in metal...

·
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any sound clips of this piece on the horizon??
I plan on doing one. I played the piece for awhile today. Phil told me to take a few weeks and really play it to make sure I love it and that's what I'm doing. I'll play it for the rest of this week and try to put something up by Friday.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I plan on doing one. I played the piece for awhile today. Phil told me to take a few weeks and really play it to make sure I love it and that's what I'm doing. I'll play it for the rest of this week and try to put something up by Friday.
I'm looking forward to this. I'm saving up a bit of surplus so I can pay for my school band trip to NYC, and one of Phil's mouthpieces. I have been meaning to buy one for a while. The SNY, may be what I am looking for since I have been in need of a lower baffle piece to compliment my RPC.

·
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To be honest, this is one of the times where I don't think the sound clip does the tone of this piece justice. It sounds good on the clip but when I play it live against a wall the tone that comes back is so rich and thick it is amazing. I hope you can hear that in the clip. I'll see if I can put up a comparison clip side by side with the New York I have sometime this weekend so you can hear how it compares.

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Great sounding clip Steve. Would be nice if you could make the compare against a Link (or Florida Link), just to have an idea how it compares to those for most players well known pieces.

1 - 20 of 309 Posts