·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have managed to get two short clips (snippets so to speak):

a. Lullaby of Birdland
b. Ipanema

My set up is a PB CLassic Soprano, with a Yamaha 6C, Jazz Select 3 Soft Unfiled Reed.

It was recorded with a ribbon microphone, through a desk and onto hard disk. What you will hear on here is the unedited version; No effects, no compression, no mixing basically. This will give you a truer indication of the how the horn actually sounds when played by me of course.

As if you were in the room next to me.

Regards

Evan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Nice sound, Evan. Not sure what a ribbon mic is, but I'm guessing that the un-mixed statement meant that your backing track is being recorded in the ambient background of the room along with the horn... at any rate I'm impressed with the tone and clarity. LOB isn't easy to play well, and on sop, I'm sure I can't handle it as well as you did. Nice lines on the GFI improv.

Thanks,
JV

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JV - The backing track was actually a guitarist who did record in the room with me, straight into the desk; Because I pointed the bell of the horn directly at the microphone, i was able to get a little less room ambience, and a lot more Soprano ambience so to speak. Appreciate your comments John, the Barone Soprano itself does a lot of the work.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It was recorded with a ribbon microphone, through a desk and onto hard disk. What you will hear on here is the unedited version; No effects, no compression, no mixing basically. This will give you a truer indication of the how the horn actually sounds when played by me of course.
Sounds great Evan!

When you say you pointed the bell at the mic how far away were you? Have you tried recording it more indirectly? Of course, you would have to do it without the guitarist but I like mixing the two sounds together.

-Barry

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,583 Posts
Both clips sound very nice! Good full tone with none of the shrill-sounding awfulness that makes me stop listening to a lot of soprano players...

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds great Evan!

When you say you pointed the bell at the mic how far away were you? Have you tried recording it more indirectly? Of course, you would have to do it without the guitarist but I like mixing the two sounds together.

-Barry
2 inches at the most. I prefer more of a direct sound; I had done some tenor clips as well, but it was less direct with regards to the microphone positioning, and had too much room ambience for my liking. Ill do those again

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both clips sound very nice! Good full tone with none of the shrill-sounding awfulness that makes me stop listening to a lot of soprano players...
Thank you; Well the Barones do help in that sense; They are a very focused sound and even, so they make life so much easier when playing that instrument. Plus i use a very conservative mouthpeice on Soprano; Totally different to my approach to sound on tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
781 Posts

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Randy - The set up has made all the world of difference - I am getting closer to that sweeter sound and a nice "pop" on certain notes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Excellent work Evan. The soprano sounds just perfect. Eventhough a Classic model, the sound is still rather dark (to me), which I like. I thought that PB Classic models must be a brighter one than the vintage. Hope you can upload more samples and of other PB saxes you have.

Hmmm, I wonder how the PB saxello sounds.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Eventhough a Classic model, the sound is still rather dark (to me), which I like. I thought that PB Classic models must be a brighter one than the vintage.
The Classic is dark but has more core than the Vintage. The Vintage has more spread & is a bit darker, but still maintains a core.

Both models brighten up nicely when pushed.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent work Evan. The soprano sounds just perfect. Eventhough a Classic model, the sound is still rather dark (to me), which I like. I thought that PB Classic models must be a brighter one than the vintage. Hope you can upload more samples and of other PB saxes you have.

Hmmm, I wonder how the PB saxello sounds.
Yes I am going to record the classic tenor I have; Its dark because i am using a very conservative close tip mouthpeice that really focusses the sound. I prefer this on Soprano.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Hi All

I have managed to get two short clips (snippets so to speak):

a. Lullaby of Birdland
b. Ipanema

My set up is a PB CLassic Soprano, with a Yamaha 6C, Jazz Select 3 Soft Unfiled Reed.

As if you were in the room next to me.

Regards

Evan
Sounds great Evan! I never liked the soprano very much until I heard these instruments. They're fuller and have a much warmer sound than any other soprano that I ever heard. Keep up the great work Evan. Phil Barone

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Phil - The horns are fantastic and I cant wait to put some tenor clips up as well. I am really enjoying playing them, and the Soprano is a favourite of mine. Phil whats your take on the saxello ? Does it have the same warmth as the Soprano ? I assume it would.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Thanks Phil - The horns are fantastic and I cant wait to put some tenor clips up as well. I am really enjoying playing them, and the Soprano is a favourite of mine. Phil whats your take on the saxello ? Does it have the same warmth as the Soprano ? I assume it would.
Yeah, the saxellos are just like the sopranos but the bells are upturned. They look great and are somewhat special. Phil

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Great job Evan. I have been loving my Classic tenor. I haven't had much of a chance to record it yet but give me a couple weeks. I can't wait to hear you on your set up. We pretty much plat identical tenor set ups.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts